Thread: I'm finally coming!

RonDreamsNZ is offline Junior Member

Default I'm finally coming!

Hi everyone. I have been spending hours just reading posts on this website. It never ceased to amazed me how nice, kind and helpful people are here. Let me add to the many stories here about New Zealand dream, most often than not, I find them inspiring and wonderful.

I am a single mom from the philippines who had a dream a long time ago of being there in NZ and if possible migrating there. Ive spent countless hours browsing websites just to see pictures, or check possibilities of going there. I have lived in the states for almost 7 years but I think my heart is still longing for the laid back life back home so I came back here in Manila last year.

However, I started missing the lifestyle and quality of life that a fully developed country offers. I have read and researched about way I can go to NZ. I was tempted to submit and EOI. But Im not sure if my Bachelor's Degree which is Communication Arts will match the industry I want to apply for which is Travel and Tourism. I own a small Travel Agency business here and I want to pursue operations management on that business.

I was able to be given a Visitor's Visa. I am attending a convention on tourism and travel. This is a dream almost coming true for me. im flying there on monday. I wanted so much to explore my possibilities and I hope I can be enlightened here with a lot of gray areas I have.

My visa states that it is a Visitor's Visa. However, it is only valid for one month. Is that already the validity of stay allowed there or will they give me the details upon talking to immigration when we arrive? Also on the lower part it says there maybe given a permit for 1 month, may study bu not more than 3 mos. That quiet confused me. There are no other annotations though. Is it possible that what we were given is a Limited Purpose visa? But it doesnt state there anywhere.

Also, I hve the goal of hopefully fining a job and filing for work permit. Can I do that as a visitor?

I hope I didnt bore anyone with this monologue but I just know in my heart that i found the best forum to get enlightened with!

Thank you very much and more power to all!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you may have been granted a Limited Purpose Visa or similar because you are attending the convention if that purpose was mentioned when applying for the visa. Usually visit visas are for a minimum of 3 months, depending on which country you are coming from.

With a normal visit visa you could find a suitable job while you are in NZ and you could apply for a work permit. However, it is important to check if you do hold a Limited Purpose Visa because you MUST leave NZ before it expires. Any further applications for visas will then have to be made from your own country.

Holding a limited purpose permit restricts your immigration rights when you are in New Zealand.
    If you are issued with a limited purpose visa and are later granted a limited purpose permit, you are liable for removal immediately when the permit expires, and you have no rights of appeal.

From page 4 here.

Whether you are back home applying or applying from NZ (on a normal visit visa) and you can't find a job, because you are already running your own business, you might want to think about starting your own company in NZ and for that you would need to apply for a Long Term Business Visa. If you are interested, check out the links on the right and left of the main body of text for more information.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rasin is offline Member

It might be safer to check with the NZ immigrantion at Philippines in case there're some special procedures for Philippines.
    This is because I've heard of a recent case that because they're from philippines, the wife and kids visa that tied to the husband's work permit need to be applied at philippines and can't do it in NZ unlike other countries. As a result the wife and kids had to return to home country to do that before their visitor visa expire.
    Arrived NZ on 15th Dec'08
    Obtained Partnership Work Permit on Mar'09
    EOI submitted on 14Jul'09 (NZ Wellington Central branch)
    ITA received on 10Sep'09
    ITA submitted on 24Nov'09
    PR received on 26Mar'10

Default Coming there soon!

The VISA sticker itself inidcated VISITOR's VISA. Maybe il have it checked by an immigration expert when I get there.Also if we are entitile to change the kind of visa we have to a work permit, I will also have to check if its gna be filed from he Philippines.Right now, Im just excited to be there.

I hope someone can recommend someone that we can talk to regarding immigration procedures.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Default visitor's visa

hi! I just called immigration new zealand call center and they confirmed that we were issued a regular visitor's visa. The only thing we have to know is that if our visa is one month valid only, any possibility the imigration officer can give us at least 3 months stay? anyone's two cents shallbe highly appreciated.

thank u again.

Blog Entries

There used to be a page on the INZ website that showed how long people from each country could visit for, but I can't seem to find it any more.
    Mother Bear

Default hi

Hi! I came here last tuesday and I have to admit..I fell inlove with the place right away...Also I met a travel agent was able to offer me a partnership on one of his branch locations. I will be talking to an immigration adviser on how this will work. If not, the one who owns the agency is willing to sponsor me for a work permit. I am not a tourism graduate but I do have experience. Can I apply for work permit as a travel agent? Pls tell me what you think. thanks

Blog Entries

I doubt you would get a work permit as just a travel agent unless your job was at managerial level because it's the type of job a kiwi could do. If you are being taken on as a partner I wonder if you could get in on a Long Term Business Visa as I suggested in another post. That is usually for when you are starting up a new business, but if you are taking over a business, that might work, too. Worth looking into, especially as you have previous experience.
    Mother Bear