Thread: Is there any chance?

Paula31 is offline Junior Member

Default Is there any chance?

Hi to all,

I'm new to this forum and have been researching into emigrating for over a year now. Originally, we looked at Oz, but the more I look at New Zealand the more it appeals to me.

I'll start with a little bit of info to see if anyone can shed any light.

Me - 33 years, married, 3 children, 14,12 and 5. I am currently studying English Literature with creative writing at university and have just completed my first year.

OH - 36 years, been out of work for 12 months (due to current economic climate), but used to work as a UPVC window fitter, with a lot of joinery and building work involved. He has also completed his first year at college doing joinery (wanted to make the most of his time) and is going back in September. He has been doing this work for over 10 years but just wanted some certificates to back him up as he doesn't yet have any.

So, big question, would we have a chance of getting into New Zealand? Any help much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paula

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Your first port of call is probably to go onto the immigration website, and fill in their point calculator. This will give you an idea if you have enough points to apply for Permanent Residenency visa.

If not, your other option is get try and geta job offer, which will boost your points (and apply for PR).

Others here have gone to NZ on a visitors visa, found work and retrospectively apply for a work permit, From here, you can apply for residency.

How do your children feel about moving? A lot of parents with older children are met with some resistance to them leaving schools, friends etc?

HTH to start,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Paula

It all hinges on where either you or your OH have skills that are needed in NZ. INZ (Immigration NZ) aren't interested in anyone who can do a job that a kiwi could do because that would take a job away from their own people.

Adding to what Lou says, you can't see how you fair by going through these pages. You would need a minimum of 100 points to qualify to apply for residency.

Point Indicator
    Points table

From here you can check whether your job skills are in demand.

There is another way of getting into NZ permanently and that is the Work to Residence visa (WTR) for which you will need a job offer to be able to apply.

Just have a browse through the INZ website and see how things pan out for you. As you can see, it's not straightforward.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Paula31 is offline Junior Member

Hi

Thanks for being so welcoming and helpful, and replying so quickly. Perhaps I should have added that I intend to finish my degree first (too much hard work has gone into that for me to just leave it) so could claim for more points when I have that.

What is puzzling, is that OH is skilled but has no formal qualifications hence the reason for going back to college to get the paperwork. His occupation is on the LTSSL as joiner/carpenter 331211. Are the qualifications essential for claiming points?

We only intend to leave the UK in a couple of years but need to do a whole lot of research.

Thanks once again!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

With a good few years' work experience behind him he could probably get by on that, but he won't be able to claim bonus points without a National Certificate in Carpentry Level 4. It would depend on whether he scrapes enough points together without the bonus ones to be able to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, 100 being the minimum number of points to qualify.

If he is studying for his qualification and you don't intend going to NZ for a couple of years, that can't be a bad thing. Studying while he's out of work will give continuity in the subject which should be beneficial when he applies. If he can't get enough points to apply directly for residency, he could try the Work to Residence Category. However, he will need a job offer before he can apply.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.