Thread: How do dogs travel

cradley is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Default How do dogs travel

Hi everyone, i havent used this forum for a while my daughters been busy making me a grandma and at the age of just 40 lol.
    Anyway back to my question, when you move to NZ how do dogs travel? do they go on the same flight has the owner? do they travel with the luggage? how often are they checked? my dog is like one of the family and i am concerned how well he will travel.
    He travels in the boot of the car at home but he is not in a carry box he lives in the house and not a kennel,he comes on holiday with us so he is not used to being left any where else.
    we will be traveling from Birmingham UK so if anyone has any advice or information i would be very greatfull.

Regards, Cradley x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Cradley, welcome back and congratulations on becoming a grandma.

Here's an old thread about shipping pets and one post I made in there contains some links which might have some bits of info although I notice the first link states that quarantine is not needed in NZ, which may be fine for pets from the UK, but that doesn't apply to other countries. If you do a search for 'dogs', 'pets', 'quarantine' or any other relevant term, you will bring up previous posts that cover all sorts of topics about shipping pets. Hopefully, some of our doggy members will chip in with their comments.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Cradley

We brought our 2 westies over from Glasgow at the beginning of the year. You can choose to have your pets travel on the same flights as you (availability permitting), although we chose to have ours follow a few days later.

They coped with the travel just fine. Very excited to see us at first, then settled down in the car for the hour long trip to Hamilton from Auckland. Took them a few days to settle in and then completely back to normal.

Ours were flown to Heathrow. Once in Heathrow, they are given a final check by the UK government vet, watered (this was a night flight & they hadn't been fed since the previous evening), and the crates sealed. They are put in a sealed off section in the hold. There may be other dogs (& maybe cats, but not sure) on the same flight. Its a different part of the hold to the luggage.

The flight stopped in Singapore, however the crates were not opened until they reached Sydney. At this stage, they were checked again (not sure if this is by a vet). The crates are cleaned out & the dogs get a chance to stretch their legs and get fresh water. I believe there's usually a couple of hours in Sydney, however I think our flight was delayed. Its then straight onto Auckland. You're not then supposed to see them until the paperwork has been completed & of course more fees paid! Although we were lucky enough to see them briefly

All in all, we were very happy with the service we received from our shippers - Pets on the Move. Our dogs too are house dogs so I know how you feel but they do cope remarkably well and for us it was the right decision to bring them over.

Please let me know if I can help further

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Blog Entries

Many thanks, you have put my mind at rest.
    how long have you been in NZ and how much does it cost to take a dog,
    mine is a spinger spaniel he is medium size and wieghs 21kilos

Blog Entries

We came over at the end of January 09. Cost all depends on weight & size of dogs. Are you sitting down??!! Including the cost of vet tests, our costs came to around 2,700 for both dogs (westies, a lot smaller than yours!).

I would suggest you also phone & get several quotes. You will need the weight & measurements (you can get the info that the shippers require from their websites but from memory this includes length from nose to base of tail, when standing, height from floor to tip of ears, etc). A lot of folks recommend Golden Arrow. Our quote from Pets on the Move came in a lot cheaper than the others we tried and we were told this was because they have accounts direct with the airlines. Having said this, it wasn't feasible for us to use Golden Arrow as we would have had to get the dogs to Heathrow ourselves as they didn't deal with Scotland, so GA could well be cheaper, you will need to check.

Also, be sure to confirm exactly what they are doing for you & what vet tests you will need to arrange yourself. We did about half ourselves and the shippers did the rest as the dogs stayed with them for the week before they flew. It doesn't matter who does it, but when comparing quotes you'll need to know. We also had a different vet from our normal one do the tests as our one wanted "silly money" for it as they don't normally do them, so again pays to shop around and get a vet who is experienced in doing export tests. The one we used had done them for Europe before but we did have a mix-up even with them. Fortunately, everybody pulled out the stops to rectify it as everything is very much time dependent & MUST be done within a certain timeframe. If not, the dog's travel will be delayed.

On a slightly different note, you must make sure that when immunisation boosters are done (if within about 3 months of travel, I think), they MUST NOT immunise against Leptosporisis as this will show as positive on the export tests. However, once in NZ you need to check whether they need to be immunised against it in the area you settle - usually farming areas. Here in the Waikato, we had to have our 2 done, but any vet in your area will know whether its required or not.

Obviously this was our experience - please check everything!!

HTH
    KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the information and contacts ,sounds like a complicated procedure i didnt reaiise how much there was to do.
    Thanks again ,Cradley x

Blog Entries

Not that complicated - I've probably just made it sound that way! Just make sure you use a good shipper & by phoning around, you'll know

Good luck & let us know how you get on. And ask away if you've any more questions