Thread: Coming Home!

starbuck is offline Junior Member
    Bucks, UK (originally from Ngaruawahia New Zealand..)

Default Coming Home!

Hi All,

I am so glad I found this site! After living in the UK for the last 10 years I have decided it is time to return home, bringing with my my English partner and two daughters (aged 18m and 3yr).

I am planning on stuyding for an ECE degree at Waikato Uni and the other half will hopefully get some work in bar management in Hamilton - fingers crossed!

My mum lives in Ngaruawahia (where I was born and bred!), so that is where we will start off, then house hunt in Hamilton.

I am SO excited and can not wait - we are leaving at the end of Oct 09 with very little money and with what we can carry!

Look forward to chatting!

T

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ Starbuck. Another kiwi returning home. I'm sure you will be welcomed with open arms. 10 years is a long time to have been away from NZ so I wonder how you will find the place changed after all that time. Have you been back for a visit at all during that time?

We have a home in Ngaruawahia although, unfortunately, we haven't applied for our residency yet and my hubby still wants to work abroad for a couple more years before we retire to NZ, INZ permitting of course .

October isn't very far away so it won't be long before you're on your way back home. Good luck with the move.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

kiwisue is offline Member

Hello and welcome. Another Kiwi here who has returned home. I am sure you will notice lots of changes after being away from New Zealand for 10 years.

Good luck.
    ~Suzanne~

This Kiwi is home at last.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Kia Ora starbuck,

We (Taffy and I) too lived in Ngaruawahia for a few years, and are in living in Hamilton city now and love it Anything we can do, just give us a shout - it's great to have another kiwi returning home

Not too long for you to go now, October isn't too far away - very little money and all you can carry? Bring on the adventure

starbuck is offline Junior Member
    Bucks, UK (originally from Ngaruawahia New Zealand..)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I have been home for about 3 weeks every 3 years so am preparing my self for a slight culture shock!! Infact I am scaring myself by reading about how expensive everything is!

We are coming back with $10 000 NZD - does that seem paltry or ok?????????? Obviously we will stay at my mums, but I dont want to stay too long as the fun may just wear off a little too quick!! We are going to take a week to chill then do some serious job hunt - part time for myself and full time for the other half...

I am super excited then alternate to bricking it...

Also, I am looking at Pukete or Forest Lake road to live in, I am ashamed to admit that I have forgotten all the different parts of Hamilton...

T

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Oh, Forest Lake Road is just around the corner from us! We also have another returning kiwi who pops in every now and then (namely keeweegal!) and she lives quite near us too! Pukete is a nice area too, as are a lot of places in Ham I bet it will have changed a bit though, since you were last here, few new housing estates, etc

As for your question re money, $10k isn't a fortune to be bringing over with you, but it should suffice to keep you going for rent, living, etc while the all-important jobs are found, so I wouldn't worry too much

Anyway, look forward to having you around, anything else you need help with, just holler