Thread: Yorkshire Again

Lawrence is offline Junior Member

Default Yorkshire Again

Hi All,

I am looking at moving and trying to sell my house

My Sister is already there and loves it.

I am interested to know if it is possible to go over there as a self employed person as from what little I have read it is far from certain that people can find permanent work?

Also is there a brief overview somewhere about self build over there, is it allowed?

I intend being over in September with my family to make sure we like it before the big move, I am sure we will.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lawrence, if you haven't got PR when you get to NZ (to live, that is), and want to start your own business you would need to apply for a Long Term Business Visa. Have a look through the following links and also the links on the left hand side of the pages that open.

Can I start a business in NZ.
    What is required.
    LTBV quick check.

Anyone who already has PR when they go to NZ and doesn't have any conditions attached to it can start their own business.

Not sure about the self-build, but you would certainly need to pass plans etc. through the local council, as with other builds. I know the government were bringing in laws about only certified electricians, plumbers etc. being allowed to carry out work on houses to cut down the number of DIY accidents/incidents that were occurring. Here's a bit of a ramble from an old thread about self-build although the definition of 'self-build' gets a bit confusing.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks Mother Bear,

I had read most of that before on the imigration site, it is still clear as mud to me, well not that bad.

I read the self build topic and happen to agree with some of the comments, from what I have seen and what I have been told I've concluded I'd like to build something different than the norm over there and as I want to be rural with a bit of land I may want to go Off Grid.
    Electrician seems sencible to me if I didn't find an off grid solution, but a plumber, I'd prefer to do it myself! A good electrician is hard to find, but plumbers are near impossible! Maybe it is different over there?
    It isn't rocket science all the same, especially if using modern plastic pushfits.

Most of the houses remind me of chalets at Mablethorpe, though I am told they not as good as that? They can't be that bad?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It may have a bearing on the design of many houses in NZ that the country suffers a good many minor earthquakes, therefore houses tend to lean towards single storey and timber frames, the latter providing some flexibility. They may seem a bit flimsy after good all bricks and mortar, but the kiwis seem to manage, although good insulation is the way to go otherwise these houses can be mighty chilly in winter. Central heating is making an appearance finally and is starting to catch on so things are looking up. Lack of proper insulation and heating is not a good combination.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Well I looked into the houses a bit more and came across one company which builds houses over there starting at a little more than 10 UK grand, that is built with liason with local council and all permisions, bathroom and kitchen etc, OK that is their base model but I am impressed!