Thread: Bound for Timaru

Cozza is offline Junior Member

Default Bound for Timaru

Hi, My husband and I have applied for PR and are currently waiting to hear if we have been successful. If we are then we plan to head to Timaru mid August 09 and was just wondering if anyone out there is currently in Timaru or nearby and can offer any general advise about the area. We have been but of course it's not the same as living there. Many thanks

whale is offline Junior Member

Hi Cozza,

We moved to Timaru in July last year and think it is great. What would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by whale View Post
    Hi Cozza,

We moved to Timaru in July last year and think it is great. What would you like to know?
    Hi Whale, thanks for your message. We have seen a few places to rent/buy online, ideally we would rent to begin with in Timaru itself with a view to buy possibly in the surrounding areas. Did you or have you rented a property. We never went to Waimate but have seen a few properties there do you know what this area is like.
    Did you have your belongings shipped over and if so was it stored at the port until you found somewhere to live.
    Thanks for your help

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ThisNZLife View Post
    I see you're a nurse from your profile. Have you got jobs all sorted or were you going to arrive and hope? Where are you coming from?

I've driven through Timaru, but that's about it. It's the bright lights of Welly for me.
    Yes I am a nurse and I have a job offer in Timaru. Yeah I loved Welly too bright lights and all.

whale is offline Junior Member

Hi Cozza,

From UK, we booked 3 weeks in a guesthouse to give us time to find a rental property when we got here - glad we did as the websites rarely give the full picture and some of the rentals we looked at we pretty low quality. We are still renting and are in our third house now (first good but too small, second good but sold) - in the countryside about 10 miles from Timaru. We have been lucky with finding rentals mostly through personal contacts. I can give you the name of a rental agent who we found helpful if you would like.

You will find the houses here cold when you arrive as it will be mid winter and any form of central heating is rare. However, the climate here is good - very little rain, lots of blue skies, skiing within 90 mins and a beach on the doorstep.

As for Waimate, the people from Waimate are the butt of all jokes in this area - mostly relating to "inbreeding" and "something funny in the water". The prices in Waimate are very cheap - that may be for a reason. We have been there a few times - famous for wallabies and the annual Strawberry Fair - it seems OK if a little isolated.

We are very happy in this area - the kids are loving school, job is going well, lots of things to do and places to go. We would love to buy a house in the area but still have a house to sell in the UK. The total population of South Canterbury is only 42,000 with about 28,000 in Timaru itself so you get to know people pretty quickly.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help further. Good luck with the move

Hi Whale

Thank you for your message with lots of useful information. If you could give us the name of the rental agent that would be great.

With regards to rentals do you happen to know if there is a minimal rental period in most cases.

Good luck with the sale of your home here in the UK.