Thread: New to New Zealand.

HarveyBride is offline Junior Member

Angry New to New Zealand.

This is all so new to me.
    Pretty much I'm 28 and newly married. My husband is from New Zealand and we met in the states about 2 years ago. Since his family owns a commercial fishing company here, we decided to start our lives in New Zealand.
    Because my husband works and is out at sea for 4 nights a week, its been very difficult for me adjusting. Not only to new married life.. but a new country with no friends, support or husband haha! My weekends seem to consist of staring at the wall in our flat, watching tv, going to movies alone, walking the mount alone, and every and anything else... ALONE! haha... I am about to go crazy!! ( I assume when I get a job things will be a lot different.. but its been almost 3 months and still no luck)

I am just curious if there are places to meet people around here. It seems (so far my perspective ) that kiwi women are very cliquey. They tend to stay in the their own groups making it extremely hard to get to know people. I mean, its not like I can walk up to a girl in the gym and say "hello, so what are you doing later" haha... sounds a bit off, dont ya think? lol Anyways.. just looking for advice!

Cheers!! Thank you for anything you provide.
    (Oh and if you tell me to join a club or a group... which one? I dont even know any in the area. haha! )

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I hope you get some answers. I'm in Hamilton, partner is currently in Australia and will be back in a few months, but I am tired of watching TV with the cat. I don't know the city well enough to go anywhere at night. I have work friends but.....I'd like to have some kind of social life!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

1happywoman - I didn't realise you were in Hamilton, we are too! Shame on me for not noticing Anyway, I'm up for a coffee if you fancy meeting up, whereabouts in Hamilton are you? PM me if you like

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

For heaven's sake! We lived about 2 minutes from Orini from September 2008 until just after Christmas, when we parted with our totally-insane-and-getting-crazier-by-the-day flatmate. Now living in Hillcrest, which means a 10 minute drive to Waikato Hospital instead of the journey to and from Orini.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I know Hillcrest well, our daughter goes to karate 3 times a week there

Better for you now you're closer to work anyway

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Anyway, I'm up for a coffee if you fancy meeting up, whereabouts in Hamilton are you? PM me if you like
    Count me in, too!
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

HarveyBride,

Sorry this thread hasn't brought forth anyone in your locality yet, but perhaps you could try sending a PM to Bunstar who lives in that area. She still looks in on the forum from time to time and may be able to help out.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi HarveyBride

I live in Hamilton but I'm in Tauranga for the day on Saturday. PM me if you'd like to meet up for a coffee

Sal
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Yorkshiregirl is offline Junior Member

Hey!

I live in Auckland, but my sister lives in Tauranga with my brother in law and 2 kids. If you like I can ask her if she fancied meeting up for a coffee etc. She is free most daytimes and most evenings.

I know how you feel feeling abit lonely, I've only been here 3 weeks so I am still finding my way round and trying not to get lost!

Let me know if you manage to meet up with people and you can pm me if you want me to talk to my sister.

Good luck!