Thread: Asian Indian in US thinking of moving to NZ.

NZAspirant is offline Junior Member

Arrow Asian Indian in US thinking of moving to NZ.

Hi All,

I was born and brought up in India. Me, my husband and my little son came to the US. Now we are sick of the inability of the US govt and want to try somewhere new. We have a couple of friends there and have got very good feedback. We want to move there now. My DH works in IT (I used to in India) and gets decent salary. We are wondering how it would be there? DH is planning to visit NZ in May.

We have already visited the immigration website and have more than enough points (but I heard they change this every 2 weeks!!! )

My doubts...
    1. How is the job market in NZ for IT?
    2. How are the schools? In US public schools are good and rarely need to send them to private schools. How is it in NZ?

Thanks...
    Last edited by NZAspirant; 17-04-2009 at 08:22 AM.

HarveyBride is offline Junior Member

Hello! I came from the States in February and used to work for Dell Inc. I am going on my 3rd month unemployeed and I received MANY awards with Dell. I like New Zealand but find it very hard to meet friends here. (I am sure that will change when finding employment though)
    I would recommend if you move to New Zealand that you start looking for jobs and setting up interviews before "moving." Have you ever been here? I recommend if you are in IT that you start looking in Auckland or Wellington for jobs. I found moving outside of the larger cities like Auckland and Wellington its a lot harder to find employment.
    The job market here is very hard as well. Worse in years.

Hope this helps a little bit.
    New Zealand is a great country. But I think the economic crisis is everywhere unfortunately. :(

HarveyBride is offline Junior Member

PS flights are the LOWEST I have EVER seen. Roundtrip right now from LAX to AKL on Qantas is actually $598 RETURN! (USD) !!!! I am used to paying over 2k for tickets from the states... so thats one HUGE plus right now. (And to think when we had our wedding here 2 months ago it was over 2500 a person! Makes me want to CRY lol)

jive is offline Junior Member

Yes I totally agree with HarveyBride. Economy is really bad here and even I heard successful migration stories 1-2 years back in NZ IT industry. Things used to be super cool for IT people once for migration or onsite visits but now they are the first target for firing since they get high salaries. And now its redundancy and restructuring everywhere and employers have closed new hires. Any new requirement is filled by candidates within the company. Not to scare you, but with kids, its always wise to have a job and then migrate to a country or else its loads of risk(esp in such economic meltdown!!!).