Thread: On the brink...

Wallers is offline Junior Member

Default On the brink...

Hi! My husband and I decided in Jan 09 to look into coming over to NZ for 1-2 years and signed up with an agency. Now we've gone through getting his quals assessed we had a phonecall last night about some possible job opportunities. Unfortunately we had just had a conversation about not coming! Aaaah!

We have two children, one in reception at school here and one aged 3. In a great financial position (very very lucky) over in the UK but if we move over to NZ we will be on a slightly over average wage but I am not skilled (administrator) and we are confused about things like getting the youngest child in childcare. You begin to realise how well off you are with child benefit and funding for sessions every day (which I don't believe we would get whilst we were in NZ). Not sure whether to take eldest out of school at early stage either.

BUT my gut says we need to do this. We've never been to NZ but both husband and I have always wanted to. Did a fair bit of travelling when we were younger and have both got that itch to experience somewhere new again.

Are we being impulsive or should we give it a go? Any comments welcome!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Wallers and welcome to MTNZ.

If life is fairly comfortable where you are, it will be quite a decision to up sticks and move to the other end of the world. A case of 'you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't' because, if you don't do it you'll always be wondering 'What if...?' If you are going to make the move, maybe now is the best time to do it while your children are still very young and it won't interfere with their schooling. Leaving it until later can sometimes mean introducing more problems like exams, leaving friends/boyfriends/girlfriends and also having to take into account their own feelings about whether they want to move or not. I would imagine it would be more difficult to juggle all these things whereas now it should be a lot easier.

They key will probably be what sort of salary offer you would get for these job possibilities and whether they would be acceptable enough for you to contemplate uprooting yourselves. Salaries in NZ aren't known to be generous, so it might be an idea to follow through with the job opportunities and see how you feel when you've heard what's on offer. It depends on what is most important to you - salary or lifestyle. Is there any chance you could take a trip down to NZ to see how you feel about the country first?

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks I think once the seed is planted it's difficult to shift it!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wallers View Post
    Thanks I think once the seed is planted it's difficult to shift it!
    Maybe you should just water it then.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Do it!!

And that's from someone who did it, found it wasn't for them and came back to UK, and is ecstatic to be back here!!

We were in a similar position to you, we had two tiny children (then aged 21 months and 5 months), had a fab house here in UK, good standard of living, but just wanted to do something different - I fancied Oz but hubby wasn't keen on spiders and snakes, so we thought NZ would be a good option for us. Neither of us had been before, but we decided just to go for it - sold our house in UK (in 2006 when it was a good time to sell!!), and went over on visitors visas (hubby works in IT but found that companies wouldn't give him a job offer until he was in the country - he got a job within 2 weeks of us settling in Tauranga). We rented a house initially, and then decided to buy a plot of land and build a house so that we could feel more settled - all of this within the 1st 8 months of being there. To be honest, NZ wasn't "us" almost from the start, lots of things "jangled" with us, it was hard starting over again - we found things tough financially, because despite being on a good wage, in order to enjoy the same type of lifestyle we had had in UK, we couldn't afford to do all the things we had done. Food costs were higher as a percentage of our household income than they had been in UK - there wasn't the choice of food in supermarket, it was a struggle to find decent quality good value clothes for the children etc, and these were things we hadn't really imagined would be problems for us. For many of our friends, the fact that they were in this beautiful country with all the new opportunities it gave them far outweighed the negatives, and they simply became less materialistic - sadly we are far too shallow for that, and we both felt that NZ wasn't a place that we would feel comfortable in long term.

Neither of us regrets in any sense or form the fact that we gave it a go - it was a fantastic year for us - we still talk very fondly of the place, and the wonderful friends we met there. In hindsight I wish we had rented our house out in UK rather than selling it, but then we would never have had the opportunity to build our dream house (sadly however we had to sell that a much lower price than we had paid for it - although we appreciated the double glazing, the super-duper insulation, the granite work tops, the superior curtains that we had specced the house with, the house-buying public back last summer just did not see the point of any of it - ah well!!)

If its something you both want to do, do it - see it as a sabbatical of 1-2 years, try something different, and have a fabulous time exploring NZ - if its the country for you, you will know it, and it can be your home for years to come, if its not, come back to UK, and have a fab life here - life is for living xx

Best wishes

Maggie x

What a brilliant post! Thanks! We've decided to go for it after 72 hours of non-stop thinking. So, it's good to hear from someone who has just done it for a couple of years and it was still a really good thing to do. To be honest, I think the thing that scares me most is loving it so much that we don't want to leave... it seems such a long way from my sister and mum.

Hope you're enjoying things back over here and enjoying the nicer things in life (even through the credit crunch).

Thank you so much for posting.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Its amazing how you can make a decision in 72 hrs to change your world upside down for a year or two...very brave... I have been planning this move for 4+ years now and there is still nights that I wake up in doubt. We made the research visit to the SI 2 years ago and I can still smell the air and see the dew on the foliage.
    As time goes by it seems the decision is being made for us to make the leap. Debts are finally paid(except house), moneys are saved(never enough) and there are jobs in NZ for me to take(in Whangarei,I hope)...now what? If all goes to plan we will be arriving in NZ before the 2010 school year, so close but so far away...anxiety is attacking me.
    I just hope NZ will welcome us for a comfortable settlement, because I know the life we are living now is not what I pictured it to be...can it ever be?
    Good Luck to you and your family