Thread: Preston Lynch - Future Migrater hopefully

prestonlynch is offline Junior Member

Default Preston Lynch - Future Migrater hopefully

Hello all -

I am a 20 year old male living in Southern Virginia in the USA.
    I work at a Phone Support center, where I basically answer phone calls and fix peoples computers.

I got this job straight out of High School, and have been there ever since.
    So about 2 years.

There isn't much beauty where I live.
    I can't go "Outdoors" so to speak without traveling for a long time.

I want to move to a new country, and live a more enjoyable life in respect to the Outdoors. I want to be closer to nature.
    If possible I want to be as self sufficient as possible...going as far as to grow my own food, and live without electricity.
    I know this seems like a big step, and you probably thinking that I don't mean it, or that I will hate it after a few days...but I have been thinking about this type of thing for a long time, and would like to pursue happiness without so much confusion and stress.

Closer to Nature, More in tune with My Soul.

The reason I chose New Zealand is because it is one of the youngest countries, and that idea of fresh untainted land is really appealing to me.

I am not quite sure where to start.
    I don't know the best place in new zealand to pursue such an idea.

If i fill out one of the point evaluation things online, i do not meet the minimum point requirement, but I'm not sure if I am filling it out properly.
    I never was good at paperwork.

Any advice would be helpful.

Please let me know what any of you think.
    Let me know if you think my pursuit is foolish.

Thanks in advance.
    PWL.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Preston and welcome.

If you started work straight from high school, I doubt you will have any sort of a degree or professional qualification. This makes it very difficult to get into NZ long term as the country needs people with certain skills and either a degree or, at least, a good deal of work experience to back them up. This may also be part of the reason why you didn't hit the pass mark of 100 points.

Your motives for moving to NZ are sound enough, but getting to live there is another matter if you don't fit the right criteria. If you already fix people's computers, could you not think about studying for a valid qualification? Another way of getting to NZ, if you can afford it, is to study there and get yourself a NZ qualification, which shouldn't be questioned if it's in line with a skill that the country needs. Take a look on here and work through it to see if your job skills are on the ANZSCO list and what level they are at. If they are on the list at a reasonable level, you may be able to find a job offer in NZ and work your way to residency by way of a work permit until you have enough points to apply for residency.

For those who don't have the required skills, I'm afraid there is little chance of getting into NZ unless you have family there with at least residency and, even then, you would need a job offer to get in. Sorry it's not better news .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.