Thread: Help! Am new and haven't a clue

mary is offline Junior Member

Smile Help! Am new and haven't a clue

I'm not sure if this is right, i am a forum posting virgin.
    Have come across this site i my investigation into life in NZ.

Hi

I am Mary and with my partner Paul and our 2 boys (4 and 2) we are considering the life changing move, went to the Emigrate show in London and were enthused.

I am a teacher so i guess thats how we may get in - Paul is in media - not sure about that one!

May attend the teachers seminar at NZ house next week.
    Questions: do i have to fill out an EoI - havent got that far yet.
    Would people advise on a recce - we were thinking camper van for three weeks if possible. Money at a minimum as per.
    We havent a clue where, so i need to do lots of investigating.

Got a few contacts who have family in NZ and plan to have good old chats to them.

We want to go for:
    1. For a better outdoor life for us and kids
    2. I think why not, can i see myself moving anywhere in UK for a life change?
    3. Life is too short why not step up to the challenge.

BUT:
    1. Age old - family, friends etc
    2. I work Part time here for kids not keen on slogging my guts full time, what if Paul cant get a job?
    3. Is the tax high? Trying to figure out inforamtion and it looks it?
    4. My other half thinks we are going to have this fab new life? I am being realistic by thinking things will probably be worse than better for a while.
    5. I am very torn what we are giving up - job, friends and family. What we will gain - sunshine, outdoor life, bigger house, out of rat race. Looks incomparable when you write it down:

Have read books, signed up to email advice etc but its a minefield, i am a busy lady and just wondered if anyone can offer advice, tell us good and bad points. I know, iknow its down to us but its also good to know people are there to help.

I have probably gabbled on too much, this probably wont even be posted as i havent a clue. All i do know is i like the site and the blogs i have read and i wish i could do all the little picture things that half the users can.

Am impressed.

Mary

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Mary. Welcome to MTNZ.

I've taken the liberty of shifting your post to its own thread rather than having it tagged onto an old one. I hope you don't mind.

To answer some of your questions....

If you are going to apply for NZ residency via the Skilled Migrant Category then, yes, you would need to fill in an EOI.

If you can manage to fit in a recce of NZ that would be well worthwhile so you can see for yourself whether you would feel at home there. Some people tend to forego the recce, preferring to hang onto the money for the actual shift down to NZ. However, if you've never been there, a recce would be a good thing all round if it's doable. Campervan hire can be a bit pricey but, if this is a problem, another option is to hire a car and stay in one of the many places on offer to tourists e.g. cabins in campsites, hotels, motels or a bach (holiday home). A car is also more user-friendly for getting about all over the place whereas a campervan is more cumbersome.

I would tend not to worry just yet about where you want to end up because that can often be determined for you because of where the job offers come from.

Taxation is rather high in NZ but the new government looks like it's about to do something about that.

If you have any desire to move to NZ, the time to do it is while your boys are still young and you don't have to uproot them from important school studies. It's often difficult to part from family and friends but there are ways of keeping in close touch. It has been said many a time that members have heard more from their families since being in NZ than when they were back home. And who's to say they won't want to visit you in your new country?

In the end, NZ isn't for everyone. Some go and hate it, others go and love it. It's down to how you react being away from all that is familiar to you and how prepared you are to adapt to a new way of life. It's exciting and it's a challenge but it's up to you whether you take that challenge.

Good luck!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Mary - as one who took the plunge last year I say go for it. I am a nurse and we brought 3 of our 4 children with us. Like you we wanted a bigger house (which we got in a lovely quiet village), slower pace of life - even though I work full time the stress is not there like it was in the UK, OH wanted to retire or semi-retire (become my house slave ) which he has done and is enjoying getting out of the rat race, less people and beautiful scenery. We never did a recce before we came as we needed everypenny for the move. It has been a life changing experience and one we don't regret for a minute. My daughter (19 yrs) has now gone back to the UK but she has done so much more here than she would have if she had stayed in the UK. She left - not because she hated it - but mainly due to boyfriend problems and deciding to go to Uni in the UK instead of here.

The process is not easy and there are many hurdles to jump through but if you are determined you can do it. If you get here and then find it is not for you - due to family in the UK or something else - then all is not lost. You will never grow old wonder 'if only..' and you will have some fantastic stories to tell. We have learnt a lot about ourselves and have changed our lifestyle - we were in a rut in the UK and this has given us the boost to change.

For reasons I won't go into we are returning to the UK later this year but have thoroughly enjoyed our time here and would probably do it again if we had our time over. We may have done it earlier in our lives i.e. when the kids were younger. I have this theory that those with younger children (my youngest is 14) seem to settle better and quicker than those with older kids. I may be wrong but it's just my theory. Your kids are at a lovely age for them to adjust well making it easier for you.

I have waffled enough - whatever you do GOOD LUCK
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Smile Hurrah i have got some replies

Thankyou for your replies: MotherBear and Nickydwuck.

Yes, its what i need to hear and i know its right, need to discuss the recce business. I am inclined to agree with the 'sod it and see' especially as money is tight. Have got some friends who have a daughter in NZ and they know a lot about the places to live and they us quite well so need to see them this month for a good chat.

What i am confused about is:
    1) as a teacher where do i go from here is it EoI or should i just dive in and look for a job? Have got a contact through Bank of NZ which i will email to find this out i guess. Do i have to do a teacher registration like a nurse does nicky?

2) What about this whole Immigration agent thing? Are they worth it moneywise. I am a busy PT teacher with 2 boys and a aprtner who hates paperwork but is in love with the idea of NZ?

I am gabbling again. Its jsut nice that people are reading and offering lots of advice.

Thanks for rethreading me Or whatever it was MotherBear. I really am rubbsih with this stuff. Love the little yellow people though

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, you would need to go via the Skilled Migrant Category and submit an EOI if you want to stay and work in NZ long term. This applies to all skilled applicants with jobs on the 'most wanted in NZ' list. Wanting to be a teacher there is not quite so straight forward as many other occupations. You would need to become registered with the Teachers Council.

Perhaps, rather than overload you with information to begin with, you could look on here under Education and pick out some of the links that look like they might give you an idea of what is required of a teacher wanting to work in NZ, coming from abroad.

Unfortunately, this immigration lark can involve a lot of paperwork so not good news for your partner, I'm afraid . There isn't always a lot of benefit in going with an immigration agency because you still have to collect all the relevant documents and information together to give to them. It's OK if you feel you need someone to hold your hand during the process, but it's a costly exercise when you could do it yourself with help from forums like this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Smile Thanks Mother Bear

Fantastic

You are a great help! Have quickly typed email to NZgov re teacher registration to find out where i stand.

I am beginning to agree with you re agents - we havent got a lot of spare cash and already most want 100 to tell me my points - though at the show a NZ gov man told me i had well over 100 and would surely qualify. My next challenge i guess is check out EoI. I have heard its a huge form - yikes!

You are a star with your advice.
    Keep you posted, am trying to log on everyday whenever poss

Thanks again
    Mary

Default OMG!! How time flies

Well am back again after a years break, still in UK move back on cards - been a very tough year job wise - i ma safe being a teacher but all those savings have gone. Just need to know:

1. How easy is it to get work i.e. what is the job situation like because UK still suffering.
    My partner thinks he will be happy with 'any' job in NZ not necessarily in media.
    2. Does anyone know where the media TV industry is concentrated? We are thinking af areas to consider the relocation to.
    3. A teaching agency are going to contact me, to give me advice on how to proceed - is it likely we will be there this time next year.

Oh the ramblings!!