Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from North Carolina

K45
    K45 is offline Junior Member

Default Greetings from North Carolina

My name is Kenny. I am born and raised in North Carolina in USA. I have 2 college degrees in Geology and earth science and work for the local government in the enviromental area. I have a fiancee and we have been dating for almost 5 yrs now. We are really looking at starting a life togethor but economic times here in the US is no fun to try to start a new life. She loves the beach and lime light of the city. I am a laid back country guy that do not like aot of messes. We are both Christains and hope that is viewed in NZ as a blessing and nota problem.

We are looking at the possiblty of being apart of New Zealand. The things that makes NZ so appealing is the enviromentally friendly set up, not a ton of people (NZ has 1/2 of that of NC population), Similar language and culture, Good Human Development index, Great Climate tempertures, High Christian population, and overall looks like a good taste of everything all in one place.

My fears of bing in NZ are something I will need to do more research. The biggest is if We can afford to move? Following by will we be able to find good jobs, and place to stay there? I am looking to get a job in geology or enviromental field since that is my strong suit. Automobile repair is my 2nd strength. My finacee has a degree in Graphic design and would like that or office work in general. She is very much a ultilty person. Hopefully these worries will be answered the more I read.

Thanks so much for your time. i look forward to hearing from othe New Zealanders and other Americans down there.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to the forum, K45.

Your fears about moving to NZ are experienced, I would imagine, by most folks thinking about such a huge life-changing process. If you do your homework first i.e. look at the job market online to see how many jobs in your line of work are available and where they are available so you know the best places to head for. If you look here under Employment, there are some job sites that might give you some ideas. I hope the links are still working. If not, let me know and I'll try to sort it.

If your fiancee loves the beach and city life, she will be well-accommodated if you go to live somewhere like Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch and you can also have your beloved countryside close at hand as you don't have to go far outside the cities to find open country.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

K45

It has been awhile since I posted this. I had issues with the local govenrment that I work for and had to help build up our enviromental program. it is one of the top programs in the state. I have not forgotten about here. I am still doing my homework, but I am ready to leave here if things work out. I have watched a view educational programs about NZ. How important is the enviromental protection to the Kiwis? Is there a large need in that field? Thanks for any and all help.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Hi Kenny
    Environmental work can be quite important here especially if you can do things like environmental effect assessments. These are used for Resource Consent applications.
    Some background on this can be found here:
    Resource Management Act [Ministry for the Environment]

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

K45

I have 2 degrees. BS in Geology and a BA in Earth Science. I have been working for engineering firms doing work making sure the ground (dirt) is suitable to build on and if not make recommendations to make the site suitable to build. i currently run the local enviromental program for our County government. I make sure construction acitives does not cause impact to neighboring properties and local streams and lakes.

It seems to be similar to your RMA I will have to read more to see. thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by K45 View Post
    I have 2 degrees. BS in Geology and a BA in Earth Science. I have been working for engineering firms doing work making sure the ground (dirt) is suitable to build on and if not make recommendations to make the site suitable to build. ... I make sure construction activity does not cause impact to neighboring properties and local streams and lakes...
    We (I am an architect) often use Geotech engineers to do a ground conditions report for soil load capacity etc etc, and regarding the impact of construction on waterways, a building consent application generally has to include a sediment control plan. These can be very basic and simply covered in the Building Consent for well vegetated small construction projects, or very involved for large projects such as subdivision, in which case it is probably part of the Resource Consent. The RMA was one of the earliest effect based planning legislations put in place and has had some interesting teething problems.

Resource Consents relate to planning (natural and built environment) matters and are under the RMA, and Building Consents are related to the Building Act, so cover structure, durability, safety & health matters.

Does this job listing align with what you are doing?
    SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

Would that be more in your line than Geotech Engineer which may require that you be a chartered engineer?

K45

Thanks for sharing those positions. I only have 1 yr experience with the Geotech but i did a ton from Bridge work, well monitoring, rock and soil sampling, testing, and even some project management. At my current job the sediment/ erosion control plans we get are simple to complex (most of my stuff is over and acre in size most are long term large sites.) and I review them to make sure they are to the Standards and then make sure they are going to work right. The Hydrology is my weakness. I have not done to much in that except for Stream impact and stream restoration work. I am getting more involved with starting a stormwater program here to help manage the quanity, quality of water, and velocity from sites and neighborhoods. The enviromental scienctist is close to what I do. How much does yalls enviromental jobs pay roughly? Thanks for your time and effort.

I don't know exactly what they pay, but work for consultancy firms pays better than work for Councils.

K45

Well I think I am making some progress. I am looking at getting a vacation lined up to go down there and get a feel for if it is something I can work out. I have a few questions to help me plan for my trip. I am looking into flying into Auckland and basing most of vacation/exploring on the North Island.

1. What are some recommeneded affordable hotels to stay at in the area? In my booking I am getting places like Mercure, Chifley Suites, Rendezvous, etc.. as options and can only go by their ratings and prices.

2. Is August-October a good time to visit? I know that is late winter for yall, but looking up the climate it should still feel very nice, shorts and tee shirt weather?

3. Wanting to do a combination of tourtist stuff and everyday life things while down there any suggestions to go and do would be great. i know it is tough because I have no clue what part of the country I would be in with a job, but at least it is a step.

If there is anything else you can think of that I should be concidering and look into before going I appreciate it. i will continue to read on here to help out. thanks yall for this site and your help.

andim5 is offline Junior Member

Default As an american

Hello there,
    We have moved here from California a year ago (almost exactly) with the same outlook on the US (or similar) as you and looking for very similar things as you.
    We live in Auckland as my husband works for the university so we decided for the first year to live close by but now thinking about moving out to the beach.
    We do love it here but surprised by a lot of things we never took into consideration.
    I think coming down here is a good idea so that you can really get a feel for NZ and see if this is what you are looking for.
    As far as your questions:
    Weather in August-October is pretty cold and wet. We kept hearing how mild the winters are here but don't be fooled. We lived in New York and Boston as well as Portland, OR and the best I can describe the weather here is just like Oregon. Wet and cold. You will need a thick sweatshirt to keep you warm during the day and a coat for the nights.
    You should plan to visit the North Island as well as the South Island!
    Good affordable places to look into: Quadrant, Quest, Quay West Suites Auckland...etc
    I would also love to share website with you that allows you to look at your move from a different perspective. It is also a forum and from people who did not like NZ. At least you get both sides. Pretty intelligent website! Expat Exposed: Behind the Hype in New Zealand
    Good luck!
    Last edited by andim5; 04-06-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    Living in Mission Bay, Auckland since June 2009 and loving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast