Thread: We're here - now what?

jellypie is offline Junior Member

Default We're here - now what?

Hello guys,

This seems like a helpful kind of place so I thought I'd say hi. I (returning kiwi) and my boyfriend (both early 30s) have (after a year travelling here) made it to NZ - hurrah! We're all set to start work and living but we're in a bit of dilemma over what to do now - we just can't decide where to go or what to do..... I suppose we are a tad unusual in that we have absolutely no ties, no children to cause us to hurry and even no big money worries (at least for a while) - so we haven't had to make a decision. Anyway enough of that, I guess that's a post for another forum area - just thought I'd raise my head above the parapet and say hi.

Jo

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jo and welcome aboard.

Glad to see you've finally made it back to NZ. Hope you found the old country to be as good or even better than when you left it. How long were you away?

Have you done any travelling around yet? That might help you to decide where you want to settle. The major deciding factor, however, would be to settle where the jobs are. Not that many people have the luxury of finding work in the place they would prefer to live unless it's in one of the big cities where there's a pretty good chance of landing a job. If you are undecided about where to go, I take it you don't have any thoughts about returning to the area you originally came from?

Good luck with your decision.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hello MotherBear

(lots more info in the post I just put in the locations forum but...)

we seem to have done everything right - searching for jobs, travelling around - and I suppose we expected to just know when something seemed right. We expected to be totally bowled over by somewhere to the extent that we would just have to stay there forever, even if it meant working in mcdonalds for the rest of our lives... but it didn't happen. I originally came from Wellington but before my memory (left when I was still a child), so going back doesn't make much sense in that respect.

I suppose our other problem is that BF and my careers are leading us to different cities. One of us will have to back down I guess. No easy answers for us but it's nice to "talk" about it with someone who doesn't have a vested interest in dragging us somewhere (like potential employers!)

TanyaJ is offline Member

hi Jo!

Sounds like you're in a bit of a quandry there. Which of you is more stubborn

ha ha!
    You mean which of us is more considerate!...

I'm really tempted by the whole idea of going somewhere "neutral" but then again I have a really tempting offer (money wise) - would be a shame to turn it down...