Thread: Air Freight or Shipment

folubode is offline Junior Member

Default Air Freight or Shipment

Hi all

Are people here to give any information on dos and donts of bringing household/personal effects to New Zealand by Air Freight and Shipment by see. Any restriction? especially given customs and associated costs in NZ

thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

We often have discussions about shipping stuff to NZ and you can read some previous posts on here and here, but you'll have to sift through the ones that are helpful and ones that are not. This should give you an idea of prohibited imports and is from the NZ Customs website which might throw up some other information for you.

One important factor is that you try to ship your stuff down when you have either PR, WTR or a long term work permit because then you shouldn't have to pay GST (tax) on it. Otherwise you would be paying 12.5%.

Air freight would be quicker than sea but pretty expensive, especially if you have quite a lot of stuff. If you want to save money and don't have too many things, you could share a sea container.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

HarveyBride is offline Junior Member

I actually just got done doing this. Email me what questions you have and I can answer them. I will say: Main Freight Damaged A LOT of my items and were HORRIBLE to deal with. They never took ownership and I even had photos of what my items looked like before leaving my country. If they are the only company used.. I would sell my stuff and never do it again. I heard when I got here... The term "Mangle Freight" is what I was told they are referred to MANY times. I have advice if you are planning to move it here... things I didnt do that can hopefully prevent bad things happening to you. Cheers!

HarveyBride is offline Junior Member

Oh the other thing... when my items arrived damaged...before even giving me the items. (Which a lot was my wedding stuff.. so I HAD to get my items and couldnt delay fighting back and forth with them) they even charged me more than initially "estimated" and it was over a thousand dollars difference! Not to mention it was supposed to arrive in Tauranga but sea complications it had to go to Auckland. So I had to rent a truck and find people to help me move... and PAY MORE than initially stated before being able to get my items out. (Sorry.. moving is a tender subject for me when it comes to what happened. lol ) But, I could be just the "one in a million" screw up. Who knows. Its just my experience. (New Zealand is beautiful though!) :)