Thread: From US to NZ

Mysterym is offline Junior Member

Default From US to NZ

Hello Everyone! After 13 years here in the US (currently in Florida), hubby REALLY wants to go back home (Lower Hutt). We (me, hubby, and reluctant 9 year old) have been tossing the idea around for a very long time, but are now seriously thinking of packing up and heading out. The things holding us back are the same as with just about anyone - family (mine), money, the uncertainty of it all, etc. My husband's family is all in NZ, and they are very eager for us to move. My husband hasn't been back since he left almost 13 years ago and is worried it won't be the NZ that he remembers. As usual we are concerned that this may not be the best time to move, but we've procrastinated 13 years already and can't afford to wait another 13 more. I'm sure we will be on here a lot in the near future gathering all the information we can.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Mystery.

You do seem to have a few things tugging at you regarding your decision to move to NZ. Your hubby is being pulled back to NZ and your family and, no doubt, young son, would prefer if you stayed in the US. Perhaps making a list of why you should move and another one of why you shouldn't would show you how the scales are balanced. Then it's a case of working out how the various problems that have arisen can be gotten around. There may be folks on here who could give you some pointers because, as you say, many people have had similar anxieties.

It's bound to be true that NZ won't be the same place your hubby left all those years ago. That would be the same with just about any place plus he's matured during those years away and will see things differently anyway. Being different doesn't necessarily mean different for the worse. So many people from other countries settle in NZ so it must have something going for it, don't you think ?

Good luck with your decision.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

JOANKEEM is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Almost the Same Boat

Our story is nearly the same. My husband is Australian. I'm from USA. We lived in Australia for five and a half years. We moved to US in 2000 and haven't left since then. We have tossed around the idea of going back to Australia, but fear the draught and that too much has changed; so for the past couple of years have seriously considered New Zealand. We keep putting it off for fear of the unknown and the cost of the move. we have 2 kids, 10 and 13 years old. They would love to go, but are so naive about such a big change. Still not sure what we will do.