Thread: Moving to NW unsure where though.

SCUBA MIKE is offline Junior Member

Default Moving to NW unsure where though.

Hi everyone, I'm Mike from England and I'm seriously thinking about relocating to New Zealand with my wife Lisa.
    We have done so much reading on the internet on both islands but still cant decide where to pitch the tent.

From what people are saying it seems that both island have alot to offer but SI seems to be the more active, less populated, with more scenic views.

The main things which we are looking for is sun, sea, sand, diving, hiking, rock climbing (if possible), good schools (hope to be starting our own family in the next 3-5 years), good shopping, don't want a city, low crime and a friendly community.

I know I know, I'm thinking the same thing, "does a place like this exist" and "He's asking for too much!". Well thats what we are looking for and the more we can cross off the list the happier we will be.

Some posts on New Zealand have made my ears stand up though as some english have expressed a strong racism coming from the locals , one member even said his daughter was thrown off a train by a Maori because she was white and english?? I was shocked to hear this but I am going to take this with a pinch of salt until I hear from other people who have relocated over to NZ.

Personally, from what I have seen, I love the country, the beauty, the people. Unsure on the weather but I have to look into this in a bit more.

Im going to read through all of the threads first before I post my own to see what people think about NW on this forum.

If anyone has anything to help me and Lisa on making our decision please feel free to send me as we are very excited to hear everyones views.

Thanks and hello again to you all.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hi ScubaMike
    Just taking a look at your name you may be interested in Northland...Poor Knights Islands was Jacques-Yves Cousteau top ten dive spots..I havent yet made the leap, but scuba was top of my list.
    Good Luck
    Happy Diving

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sorry to come down to earth with a bump (I'm the boring one ), but I have to ask if you intend working in NZ. If that is the case, the question of where to settle would be tied to where you could find a job. If you are going to be self-employed, I guess you would need to research the best area where you could maximise your potential. If you aren't going to be working and are currently child-free, have you considered making your way around NZ, researching all likely areas and then making your decision about where to put down roots?

For all the things you mention, NZ is certainly the place to be other than, maybe, shopping. You will no doubt find 'shopping' in the cities but NZ isn't such a consumerist country where there are lots of malls with big-name shops in the smaller towns.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Smile

Thanks Duke, Mother bear , I will be working full time when I come over. I think my services will be more required in the North of the island but that could change. I read about poor knights island and it sounds fantastic!

Mother Bear, can you comment at all regarding the racial torment white english get from the locals? Does it even exist? Just another couple of similiar stories have caught my eye.

Thanks for your replies

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBA MIKE View Post
    Mother Bear, can you comment at all regarding the racial torment white english get from the locals? Does it even exist? Just another couple of similiar stories have caught my eye.
    I can only comment from what I've heard and what I've experienced. I have to say I believe that Maori against Pakeha (white-skinned people) is quite rare. Maori against Maori (gang warfare in the cities and more particularly Auckland) I've heard a lot about. Pakeha against Asians I've heard quite a bit about.

The only thing I've heard regarding, say, English people (which could include any European), is occasionally when they are out in the sticks somewhere and have found it difficult to fit in with the locals (whatever race). That type of thing seems to be more as a result of locals who have been sheltered from contact with 'outsiders' and aren't quite sure how to react to them. You can get the same sort of thing in the UK when people passing through some rural villages might find the locals a bit wary of them and standoffish. I really haven't heard anything about violence towards them though.

From my own experiences - I've been in NZ 3 times now - I can't say anything bad about the people I have come into contact with. On the contrary, my experience was such that it reinforced my decision to settle there when my husband retires. The kiwis, both Pakeha and Maori, were kind, friendly, helpful and everything that I would look for in friends and neighbours. Of course, you will always get a bad egg or two no matter where you are in the world and bad stuff happens, but one thing I can't complain about in NZ and that is the people. We weren't doing the tourist thing on our visits either because we have a home in North Island, so we mixed with the kiwis on the same footing as them. Unfortunately there are problems with drink and drugs in some areas, like in many other countries nowadays, and the Maori tend to suffer the most from this which could colour their behaviour at times but I don't think it amounts to racism against Pakeha. There are ongoing issues regarding land that was taken from the Maoris by the English in the very early days, which can cause tempers to flare now and then, but that's a particular problem to do with history rather than outright racism.

I think, if you go looking for trouble, you would probably find it, but if you go with an open mind, a friendly smile on your face and a willingness to fit in (and this is very important), I would hope that you would have a similar experience as I have had. There are, unfortunately, some people who just don't (want to) fit in or who find NZ isn't for them and, if it affects them badly, they will see bad in everything including the people. There may well be a few stories going round about bad experiences but, with a population of over 4 million I think the good stories will outweigh the bad.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default I agree

I think your right Mother bear. All places have a little hostility from the odd bad egg, I recon it does depend on who you are and whether you go looking for it or not.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

borderbear is offline Junior Member

Smile

Hi,
    as for the racism against white people. It exists but usually in
    areas where you should not be living anyway. I made the mistake once to move to an area where I was one of three white "caucasians" in the street (because the rent was cheaper). Gangmembers can often have bad racist attitudes against white and asian people. So, just do your research (ask the local police) regarding gang areas and stay away from them.
    Funny enough, I also experienced racism from young white Kiwis who were of the ignorant kind and hated all immigrants but even funnier they want to go on OE to Europe...

Good areas for the activities you mentioned:
    - if you want to focus on diving, snorkelling and other waterbased activities, the north of the North Island is great and there the water is also the warmest. Does not matter if you choose northern Auckland, Coromandel or Bay of Plenty.
    - you can find decent hiking almost anywhere reasonably close
    - as for rockclimbing, you usually have to drive a bit in the North Island - Wharepapa South near Te Awamatu is a great place for sportsclimbing, otherwise try Ruapehu or Taranaki for more alpine and unprotected stuff

-I think a great place to live for rockclimbing is Christchurch where you have great local climbing and are close to the great mountains of the south for real mountaineering. Also Christchurch has beaches and hiking. It is a place with nice people. But it is colder than northern North Island.

-A beautiful place to live with reasonably warm climate, beautiful golden beaches and beautiful bush is Golden Bay or the western side of Able Tasman. There you also have maybe the best sportsclimbing area in NZ - Paynes Ford. If you do not have to be in the big centres for work this is the place!

-I live in Wellington. Beautiful bays but mostly outside and water temperatures are rather low even in summer (17 degrees is considered tropical for the water). It does have some nices areas for hiking but I am missing the more beautiful bush/forest of other areas. As for rockclimbing it is not really attractive, there is not really something exciting here and you have to travel really far which is for me mostly too far for the weekend as I do not like to spend too much of the weekend in the car.
    But if you are into partying and clubbing and "culture" Wellington seems to be the place. However, I am more the outdoors type.

Best to travel abit before settling down!

Cheers