Thread: help needed

odare is offline Junior Member

Default help needed

HI i need a little help with a question>>.
    my Husband is a New Zealand Citizen ( born in Christchurch) and has family living there... ( is currenly living with a green card in the USA)
    he is thinking about moving home....
    would there be a problem if I ( his wife of 21 years ) went with him...
    ( i do wish at this time in becoming a citizen of NZ) nor do i plan on working in NZ. what do i need to do to move there with him..??
    thank you...
    odare@aol.com

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Shari, I put a reply on your other thread. Because your husband is a kiwi, he should be able to sponsor you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

odare is offline Junior Member

Smile thank you

thank you for the quick response...
    Yes my Husband is a Kiwi, and is or hope to be moving back home by the first of the year....
    since i have never been over what i am asking is that we go on a vaction first to see if i like it or not.. since it such a big move... ( i would do the same if i went to the East Coast , i would want to vistit first) I hear it is very nice to live in NZ but costly... ( compair to the states) ( per my brother in law who is also now living there) example a 2 litter bottle of Coca cola is usually around $1.00 here, and i have been told it can be close to $4.00 or more there. ( is this true) what is the money exchange rate NZ pound vs the poor US $.
    i also want to say thank you for being nice and answering my questions..
    shari.
    odare@aol.com:

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

The USD vs NZD changes all the time. On our last jaunt in September/October 2008, the NZD was worth about $0.70US, then dropped to about $0.65 in November. Seven years previously it was worth only about $0.42US. Many things are more expensive, primarily because they have to come from overseas or somehow rely on something that's imported (like fuel). Wages generally seem to be a bit lower than in the US, though the minimum wage is more humane. There are several threads around here discussing the cost of living. Check out the "Living in NZ" section.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

It's all relative isn't it? Coming from the UK, Coke in NZ is much cheaper. I haven't seen it at $4, except maybe in a restaurant or take away. It's usually around $2.50 in the supermarkets, that's half what it costs in England

Anyway, if it's too expensive, don't buy it It's full of crap anyway, as are all fizzy drinks and every time we buy a bottle we contribute to the Coca Cola Company's iron grip of our society. Take a stand and drink water, it's free.

I know you're just using Coke as an example but, I'm using it as an example too. There's always an alternative.

Just a little note as well, all you yanks will gang bash me now for this but, it does seem that it's mainly the Americans that complain about things being expensive. You guys have it so good where you come from, everything's cheaper than most other places in the world. Your country has big muscle power!! If you're going to come NZ, you are coming to a completely different way of life and quite frankly, you have to pay for the privilege. We've found the cost of living much on a par with GB, with some things more expensive and others less so but it balances out. From what I can tell, you guys find EVERYTHING more expensive. So it is a big thing to take into consideration.

But remember this, there are people here who have come here for so many other reasons including personal safety, to escape war, to escape corruption, to feel confident that their kids will grow up in liberty, the abundance of food, the abundance of goodwill and fresh air, the fact that it's one of the safest places in the world tucked away in the bottom corner of the globe If all we have to worry about is the cost of Coke, then we should be grateful for the luxury
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Duke is offline Senior Member

Dawn..I find your posts the most enjoyable to read...awesome perspective...the price of Coca Cola...I feel ashamed that it is a major poison in my life, if your a real Coke drinker, as I am,..it tastes different in NZ, as the lifestyle probably does too ...and it is a shock for most americans trying to configure the price of living in NZ. Americans seem to be addicted to a quantity issue and outlawed a quality aspect, time will tell as the politicians keep telling us...the parties over,the steroids are wearing off... I hope
    No, Dawn you shouldnt be bashed for speaking the truth about our spoiled way of life... your right. I'll leave it at that...
    Thanks for the great outlook on the real issue's in life... it is so easy to get lost in the sauce.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Wow, thanks Duke

I just feel we all have so much to be grateful for but that we're all also very good at feeling hard done by

You're right in what you say about the money conversion thing. No matter where you come from it seems to be one of the biggest pit-falls, and should be one of the major considerations. Lots and lots of people go home because of money issues.

The Kiwis on the other hand seem to just get by. No one here moans about money or the price of things. They just get on with it. I guess what you don't have, you don't miss eh?
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land