Thread: Tauranga life.

S & K :-) is offline Junior Member

Smile Tauranga life.

Hi,

I came across this forum website and it was great to read and see other people's up's and down's and experiences here in New Zealand. So thought i would give it a go..

Myself and my fiance came over to New Zealand in November 2007 from England to travel, which we did and it was great. Something we will never forget. Within the 6 months holiday visa we had at the time we put the paper work in for 2 year work permits to stay and work and see eventually if we would want to become New Zealand residents.

We are now living and working in Tauranga, but going through a patch were we are missing family and feeling a bit home sick. ( Well family more than England itself! )
    New Zealand is a lovely place especially were we are living, and we want to get out there and meet people. But it is easier said than done, well at least it feel's that way when it's just the 2 of you. We haven't any Children yet, and alot of people seem to meet other's through children.. groups, social events and school's. We would love to meet or hear from some friendly kiwi's or other Brit's going through the same thing.

S & K x

Stats_chick is offline Member

Welcome to this board! We are not in NZ yet but I would imagine you might find a social club based on interests. Do you enjoy biking or running? Or some other outdoor activity? That seems like a great way to meet other people. Good luck!

Bunstar is offline Member

Welcome to the forum!

It's so bizarre because your post could have been written by us!! Myself and my boyfriend (who's also on this forum - MonkeyControl) came to NZ from the UK in November 2007. We spent the first month travelling around the North Island before settling in Tauranga (we're currently in Papamoa).

I totally agree with the difficulty of making friends without children! We have no children and no plans for them. We're both in our 30's and all of our friends here have kids...although we've done well so far, no babysitting duties as of yet!!!! Whilst I agree that social clubs etc are good for meeting new people I find it really difficult as I'm not "madly" into anything and the people who attend these clubs tend to be really serious about their pursuits! (e.g. I like cycling but am definitely not an iron man competitor!!!)

Feel free to drop me a private message if you'd fancy meeting up for a chat. (As newbies to the forum I'm not sure if you have to post a certain number of posts first?!?! Try it and if it doesn't work then maybe reply here!)

S & K :-) is offline Junior Member

Hi,

Thanks for your replys.
    I have sent you a private message Bunstar hope you get it o.k, it was great to hear from you when you have been in a similar if not the exact same position as ourselves. Hope to hear back from you soon.