Thread: Time to change

can't wait is offline Junior Member

Wink Time to change

Hi everyone

My name is Sue I am 40 years young and live in France.I originally lived in West Yorkshire, England.
    I am in the process of making sure I have all the info I need for studying the New Zealand Diploma in Business (NZDipBus) as I have studied in England Accounting with the AAT and also done some accounting work for a French accounting firm.
    Can anyone give me Some info on Bay of Plenty Polytechnic Tauranga please. I am looking into doing studies and wanted to know if anyone out there is studying there at the moment. Would like general info on what the polytechnic it is like.

I'm not sure as yet but I might be coming over on my own - very scared at doing this but as I am not getting any younger I feel I have to do this for me.

Stats_chick is offline Member

Sorry no advice here but I did want to welcome you to the boards. This is a great place for answers of all types. Try to not be nervous about going over on your own as it is an adventure. You only live once.

Thanks Stats-chic,

I am use to the travel - we moved from England as we thought the world is sooooo big and we are on the earth for a short period. It's just the "on my own" bit I have to deal with. (just been informed by hubby that he wants a divorce.

whale is offline Junior Member

Hi - I cannot tell you anything about Bay of Plenty but I moved to NZ six months ago and I am teaching the Dip Bus at Aoraki Polytechnic in Timaru if that helps in any way.

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hiya Sue,

You have chosen a fab place in NZ - we lived in Tauranga from June 06 to May 07, although we chose to return to UK, it wasn't Tauranga itself that made us return!

One of our friends has just finished a 2 year fashion diploma at BoP Polytechnic, so I shall send her a link to this thread and maybe she could give you some comments on what the Poly is like.

Best wishes,

Maggie

Hi & thanks maggiemoo,

That would be great if your friend can help with info in any way. I have been in touch by email with the poly - a girl can't get enough info!!!

So you now live in Salisbury? I lived down that way for a few years - my sisters oh was in the army, we were staying at - get this - "kiwi barracks" how weird is that???

Anyway - can't wait to get over to Tauranga - have been looking into flights - I (hopefully) want to go over in May so I can have a good hunt around before starting at the poly in July. Just hope we get a buyer for our house.

There are a few people here in France moving over to New Zealand - sounds bad but the English in France are so b**chy - and the forum sites for New Zealand are so warming, is that the case when you move over?

Talk soon, and thanks again.

Sue

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Hi Sue,

Just got a quick reply from my friend on facebook re her feelings on the Polytechnic and I quote...

"Of course i will help with some information... I found that they were very supportive and helpful, my tutors and all the other staff at polytechnic such as librarians etc.

The tutors will explain in detail what each year includes, so you feel ready to go! They are very organised. Also, they tend to have small classes, which means more one on one time with tutors!

I hope this has helped - it's not very informative, I can't really think of much! But if she has any specific questions, I don't mind answering them at all! "

Hope this is of some help to you, I know that my friend really enjoyed her time there, and she was in a class with young people from all over NZ, Australia and overseas.

Good luck with the house sale, sorry to hear about your marriage breakdown but sounds like you are moving forward with life for YOU - go girl xx You have your whole life ahead of you, go and have some new adventures with it xx We didn't encounter any more bitchiness in NZ than here in UK, though we did encounter some hostility to expats moving in and "pushing up house prices and nicking all the good jobs" but hey-ho, we brushed that off!! We made some fabulous friends - Kiwis, English, Scots, South African, Dutch etc and we miss them like anything - (especially my Scottish buddy Fingers-Crossed) We had a fabulous year there, but it just wasn't really for us long term - but for so many people it is everything they want, and often more, I really hope it is the same for you.

Best wishes

Maggie xx