Thread: Heloo From US ....

intelinside is offline Junior Member

Default Heloo From US ....

Hi All ,

I was planning for applying for Immigrating to NZ . I am currently in US on work Visa (H1) for past 3+ yrs in a IT firm as a senior Software Application Developer .I did my Masters from US university.

what are my chances of Immigration to NZ?
    to claim points in education in skill labor shortage it says degree level 7 , how is the level calculated . Does the MS from US mean Deg level 7.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Seth

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Seth and welcome to the forum.

You should be OK to apply for NZ residency if you have a suitable degree. I don't know if this from the INZ Operational Manual will answer your query about that.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

intelinside is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks MB for a warm Welcome

MB, One question Though ...

My masters from US is in Electrical engineering (Spl in communications) , during that i have taken many courses relevant to Comp sci .

does it mean there will be a mismatch and i cannot claim points for skilled Work or Qualification in skilled area? as the requirement for Qualification points under Long term skill shortage and immediate skill shortage area the degree level requirement is level 7 and mine i think will fall under level 9.

let me know your comments .

Thanks
    Seth

Stats_chick is offline Member

Seth,

I am not sure if this will help but if you look here Points Indicator - New Zealand Immigration Service it may give you an idea how points are calculated for your EOI. Since you have a masters degree you have a recognized post grad qualification as long as you attended a University that is on that other page MB posted. You claim points for the work you will be doing based on what you have done. Since your work experience appears to be in a skilled shortage area you can claim those points. Your degree gets you points also. Good luck!

Your degree can be used in a variety of ways. I have my degree in mathematics and statistics and can use my quals for a job as University lecturer, statistician, actuary, etc. It isn't as if you are attempting to use a degree in sociology to work in IT.