Thread: Hello from Shanghai

shawoom is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Shanghai

Hi All,

First off, is it just me or there is a strong preference in NZ for immigrants from the UK and the US? I guess it's not official but most of the references I noticed in the short research is to people coming to live in NZ from the UK. Why is that?

I am Israeli, my wife is Chinese and we're thinking of checking out NZ as a place to live. We have our own export business in China which we might bring over to NZ or buy into a similar Kiwi business. This is the general plan, anyway.

Cheers,

Ilan

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I doubt there's an official policy, and hope there's not an unofficial preference purely based on country of origin. There may be a greater number of UK & US applicants than other nationalities, which could make it seem that they get preference. Because NZ is a British domain (or something like that), it seems logical that Brits would think of NZ as a place to move to.

Hopefully you won't be discriminated against simply because of your countries of origin. Best of luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Thanks for the support. I believe NZ is part of the British Commonwealth, rather than a "domain".

We need some assistance in dealing with filling in the Financial Information (Section D) of the long term business visa application form. I mailed a couple of agencies but was unable to get any concrete assistance. Anyone has any recommendation on a professional?

It seems to me that the vast majority of applications are for the skilled migrant category.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Our Macfod has gone the LTBV route successfully. Perhaps if you pose a few questions he may be able to help if he looks in again soon. I don't think he went the skilled route - he just bought into a business and took it from there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

I much appreciate the information. Who is "Macfod" though?
    We are also looking into buying 20%-30% stakes in an existing business within our industry.
    Under such a scenario, how does the whole of section D in the application form make sense? Or, do we need to fill this in together with our new Kiwi partners?

What I'm trying to ask really if this form is a generic format which the government accepts in regard to all options in the business visa section?

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Our Macfod has gone the LTBV route successfully. Perhaps if you pose a few questions he may be able to help if he looks in again soon. I don't think he went the skilled route - he just bought into a business and took it from there.