Thread: Hello from Staffordshire

countryfolk is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Staffordshire

Hello all, a quick introduction,theres myself,my hubby and 3 children, age10,5,3. A number of pets including dogs, ponies chickens and pigs!!
    I have been doing plenty of research recently into the possibility of moving to NZ. This forum has been full of information ( though this is the first time I have posted, Not too good with technolgy!)
    We are flying to Auckland in February and travelling down to Wellington to stay with relatives. The aim of the holiday is explore and make the decision wether we uproot and move for what we hope, a better life.
    If we do move, I anticipate it would be around the Wellington area, although not certain at the moment. We lead a very outdoor lifestyle, my children are all in pony club and compete regularly. With this in mind, could anyone recommend areas to visit with the possibility of moving.
    Already counting the weeks down until February.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Countryfolk and welcome. Happy to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by countryfolk View Post
    A number of pets including dogs, ponies chickens and pigs!!
    My goodness, what a menagerie. What on earth will you do with them all when you go to NZ?

This forum has been full of information ( though this is the first time I have posted, Not too good with technolgy!)
    Well done, you did fine.

Good luck with your move to NZ. We have a few members kicking around the Wellie area so I hope you can glean some uselful info from them.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Dogs on the move

It will be extremely difficult leaving our animals. Hopefully the people who purchase our house will adopt the chickens. The pigs will move to a local farming family friend and the ponies, well we are not sure.

But... as for our dogs, I know we cannot leave them, so would appreciate any feedback on the stages and processes we need to go through to move them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Howdy, Countryfolk! There are a number of threads here about shipping pets, including recommendations for shippers.

I'd think that just about anywhere in NZ would be good for a country lifestyle, except perhaps in the middle of a city, on top of the Alps or on Ruapehu. Even Auks has countryside close enough for a modest commute if need be.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

But... as for our dogs, I know we cannot leave them, so would appreciate any feedback on the stages and processes we need to go through to move them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    We've got quite a few previous threads about shipping dogs so I'll post a couple of links here and here.

There's also some info here about importing pets to NZ and this is the official biosecurity site that answers a few relevant questions. Another site giving advice about pet immigration.

A few of our members have taken their dogs to NZ and can give a more personal account of what goes on.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Stats_chick is offline Member

Welcome! Having family in NZ will most likely help make any transition easier. Enjoy your trip in February!

Smile Thank you

Thank you all the help, information and encouragement. I'm so glad I joined this forum.
    The information regarding the dogs is great and I am looking into it as we speak. I did'nt realise the cost, better start saving !!!