Thread: Hi from Kentucky!

Stats_chick is offline Member

Default Hi from Kentucky!

Well hello! I have been trying to get on this wonderful site for about a week now and finally able to register. I am hopeful that this forum will provide helpful information about moving to NZ and all that encompasses. I am a bit overwhelmed with all that I have to learn and how to guide myself in this endeavor.

A little background...I am 35 and currently in graduate school for mathematics and statistics. I should graduate in Dec 2009. I would like to move to NZ shortly thereafter. Could potentially move before then if I find a good job in NZ. I am married and have two children ages 9 and 11. My husband has a job overseas and would not work in NZ but rather just be with us when he is not working out of the country.

I am looking to either teach, lecture (depending on how NZ recognizes my degree and what that qualifies for in NZ ), or work as a statistician. I should be teaching next semester at the University I am currently attending so hopefully that will apply toward teaching experience.

So hello again from Kentucky and I hope I will gain insight and friendships on this board.

Lyn

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lyn and . Glad you were finally able to register on here and join us. Apparently there was a glitch with updating the forum which knocked out the registration site.

To be able to apply for residency you need to look on the Skills in Demand Lists to see where your future job might fit in as this is critical for gaining residency. The system has changed recently so we're having to get used to a slightly new way of doing things.

One word of caution, if/when you are granted residency, you have 12 months to get to NZ to activate it. After that you need to stay in NZ for at least 6 months of each of the first 2 years 'to show commitment' to the country. When you get your residency you will also get a Returning Resident's Visa which will allow you to go in and out of NZ. If this expires while you are out of the country, you would probably lose PR. If you comply with the previous ruling,, after the 2 years, you will be granted an Indefinite RRV which means you can stay out of NZ for, more or less, as long as you like. I'm thinking particularly of your husband who wants to work away from NZ. He wouldn't be in a position to comply with that 6-month ruling and, therefore, wouldn't get his IRRV, which could cause problems. If he can show strong links to NZ e.g. family there and, maybe property etc. he could apply for another RRV when his is about to expire but I wouldn't like to say how long he could do this for. You can read up about it here and it may explain the situation better than I have. We are in a similar position but, at least, we have retirement in sight and will have to time our PR application carefully so we can stretch things out to fit our timeline.

Again, with regard to your husband wanting to work away from NZ, would you expect to get PR through his job skills or your own? If he is going to be the principal applicant, he would be granted PR on the strength of his skills being put to use within NZ and not overseas, so this could be a problem. If you will be the principal applicant, hopefully, this shouldn't cause waves.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Wow! That is some food for thought. I am not sure it will be a problem since I am the one using my credentials to get in the country. It looks like I qualify under the long term skills shortage list. I would fall under the Lecturer category once my master's degree is completed.

Worst case my DH could just visit on a visitor's visa since he won't be in NZ more than 6 months in any one calendar year until he finishes this job which may or may not be within the next 5 or so years. Since he wouldn't be in NZ more than 3 months at any one time I wonder if he would even have a problem since you can visit that long without a visa from the US? The way I am reading it it sounds that way. I guess I could call the immigration office in Washington to ask them about him. Heck he isn't here in the US for more than 6 months in any given year. As it is all he does is 'visit' here even though he is a citizen.

I know our situation is a bit different than most because most do live and travel with their spouses but we don't since he works overseas. Thank you for the reply because I hadn't thought about it from his residency aspect.

Just going back to look at the skills shortage lists and I qualify under immediate skills shortage and long term skills shortage lists. I may even pursue a job vacancy from one of the Universities in NZ.

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hello stats-chick, or neighbor in the global view... I live in ohio and also looking to move to NZ. Have you been to NZ for a visit yet? I would have to say it is as beautiful as kentucky but NZ has the bonus feature of a big ocean around.
    My plans are for Jan. 2010 or shortly after(considering my daughter, that is in school)...I dont know your situation or position, but maybe we could share a shipping container when that time comes.
    We are planning a visit to Wash. DC this coming year, we will be sliding into the embassy to get the feel of the reality of it and all the paperwork to come.
    Theres alot of good people here and great advice, good luck to you.

Hey Duke! We have not been to NZ as of yet but we definitely do our research before any move. We are thinking of taking a trip to NZ sometime in the next year. I would like to scout out the islands to see where we would like to move. Ideally we would like to move around Jan of 2010 that way our kids would be able to start school there. Also, I will be finished with my masters by then.

Where are you thinking to move to in NZ? North or south island? Do you have a job or prospects yet?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stats_chick View Post
    Worst case my DH could just visit on a visitor's visa since he won't be in NZ more than 6 months in any one calendar year until he finishes this job which may or may not be within the next 5 or so years. Since he wouldn't be in NZ more than 3 months at any one time I wonder if he would even have a problem since you can visit that long without a visa from the US? The way I am reading it it sounds that way. I guess I could call the immigration office in Washington to ask them about him. Heck he isn't here in the US for more than 6 months in any given year. As it is all he does is 'visit' here even though he is a citizen.
    A visit visa would probably suit him then providing he applies for a multiple entry visa . There is an interesting little note at the bottom that refers to spouses and partners of people who hold work permits or visas where they can get multiple entry visas for the same length of time as their partner's visa. I wonder how this translates into residency holders.

If you are going to apply for residency, you would need to ensure that your hubby is included in your application so that you can sponsor him for residency at a later day under the Partnership Policy. That would sort him out.

It's a good idea if you can gain some teaching experience before heading to NZ. For 'ordinary' teaching I believe you would need to have a minimum of 2 years teaching under your belt to be able to apply for teachers' registration in NZ. I don't think it's the same for university lecturers though as it's not mentioned here so that might be your best bet.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Stats_chick. I wound up loving math after getting some good professors in trig & calculous. I'm not so sure I would have liked differential equations, though.

I recommend checking carefully with NZIS about your husband working away. You want to be absolutely certain that they don't think that your relationship isn't valid just because you two aren't joined at the hip. Ebianca is having trouble, and they have been under the same roof for a long time.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

I doubt they would have a problem with our situation once it is explained. We have been married for 16 years and it has been this way for a long time. He cannot 'do' his job at home so he must go overseas.

You guys are great. I am loving all the links to information. I am overwhelmed trying to find all this information on the immigration site.