Thread: UK to NZ in 7 weeks...help!

Freerider2NZ is offline Junior Member

Default UK to NZ in 7 weeks...help!

Hello fellow NZ hopefuls.

Im really worried after reading many posts on this site and everywhere else. I basically flipped a coin last week and said tales for New Zealand and guess what. It was tales.

So im in the process of sorting things out. Applied for holiday/working visa (12 months) as advised by a recruitment company. First i looked at jobs to see if there was any in web design. There is nut im willing to work anywhere doing anything as long as i can get by and stay forever.

As i have read the 12 month holiday working visa only allows me to work for 3 months. Is this true. So basically from what i understand i have 3 months to find a permanent Kiwi job. If i get lucky then i can apply for permanent residence. Is this correct?

I was advised to get a 12 month and then extend to 23 month when i arrive. So if i do this. Does this also mean i need to get permanent work within 3 months?

I plan to get to Auckland, find permanent digs and then a permanent job. I have a few telephone interviews lined up but am worried. I really need to make it out there.

Please help in my Freeriding adventure.

I am a web designer/3d modeller/animator and intend to also continue freelancing but really looking for permanent work. Even bar work or something, as long as i can stay.

Help.....PLEASE

Freerider2NZ

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Freerider and welcome.

If you are from the UK and had gone for a 23-month WHV you could have worked for 12 months. INZ seems very shy about stating openly how long you can work on a 12-month visa although, no doubt, it is written down somewhere. Perhaps someone can put us straight on this.

If, as you think, you can only work for 3 months, this doesn't really affect your chances of finding permanent work because you could still go on looking for a job offer when the 3 months is up. You are still covered by your WHV to stay in NZ. It just means that you wouldn't be able to earn during this 'down time'. That's not to say a company wouldn't still offer you a permanent job. You would stand more chance of finding work when you are in the country. If you got a suitable job offer you could then apply for a Work Permit which would give you time to submit an application for Permanent Residency.

If you want to stay permanently in NZ, you need to have a job that involves skills that the country needs. Unskilled jobs can be filled by people already in the country, so it is only workers with particular skills who are invited to stay long term. If I were you, I would look for a permanent job in web design if you have qualifications and work experience in that line.

Good luck with the job interviews.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dennis Dantes is offline Junior Member

Default Dennis Dantes (Graphic Designer)

I am facing the same problem.
    Once I get to New Zealand I need to work on a trial basis for 3 months
    Do NZ companies renew the contract every 3 months so that it goes to a complete year before you apply for a residency?

Freerider2NZ is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice mother bear

Thanks Mother Bear,

I will consider the 23 month working holiday visa now. I think my chances will be better.

Ive had many experiences that maybe consider over in New Zealand although not qualified. Ive been an electrician, air-con installation and many more. I have thought about get my Sparky qualification (the equivalent) which may increase my chances. But im a creative person who ideally would like to be in a creative role.

Im expecting my first telephone interview in less than an hour. Hope it goes ok.

I was advised to go to Auckland first. I am wondering on nice places to live. I have been looking at rent and it seems ok. Just donít want to be to far away from the action and possible job. Any ideas where to live in Auckland thatís close to busses/trains. I am considering in buying a bike or scooter. I love mountain biking and cant wait for a good ride. Or a scooter just in case it rains the odd day.

What do you think?

Ive also been told you dont need insurance if you have a car by a Kiwi i met on Sunday. But he was last there 10 years ago. Is this true?

So many questions....sorry.

FreeriderNZ

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freerider2NZ View Post
    Ive also been told you dont need insurance if you have a car by a Kiwi i met on Sunday. But he was last there 10 years ago. Is this true?
    This is the last we heard on the matter.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.