Thread: Hello from Sutton Coldfield - UK

vixen123 is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Sutton Coldfield - UK

Hi

We are a family of four considering emigrating to NZ. My Husband is an electrical engineer and is a switchgear panel builder / wirer. I am currently a personal assistant and we have two children. I know it would be my Husband who will be the main applicant and whether he would be successful or not, remains to be seen.

Judging by the state of our country at the moment, we are looking to emigrate for a better standard of living. Not really sure where we start.

My Husband's sister is currently a resident of NZ and has been for three years so might get "one or two" more points for this.

I have also added a post regarding the property prices in NZ compared with UK. I am really hoping that they are slightly cheaper.

I have noticed you will also get more points if you have a job offer on applying to move to NZ, but how can you get a job offer without visiting NZ first. As there would be a substantial cost involved if we wanted to visit NZ first, this is really out of the question.

Any help on this site would be gratefully received.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Vixen and welcome.

It can be quite difficult to get a NZ job offer if you're not in the country but it is doable, especially if you have a job skill that is much in demand. Perhaps your husband could trawl the job sites to see how many jobs in his line are currently available. If companies have websites with contact addresses, it wouldn't hurt to drop them a line to test the water.

It would certainly help his chances of getting residency in NZ if he could get a job offer. Sometimes, what happens is that the principal applicant goes to NZ on his/her own to check out the job scene, if it's too expensive for the rest of the family to go as well. It's just a thought.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.