Thread: Hello from Essex England

holistic hands is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from Essex England

Hi

From cold, drab Essex - very grey here at the moment, quite chilly - we blinked and missed the summer.

I am a 50 something mum of two grown up daughters, one married with a small daughter and we are all hoping to move to New Zealand next year. We are coming on holiday for 3 weeks early next year but pretty much all want to come to NZ.

I have my own business which is doing well. It would be nice to be in a country that appears to welcome people saying hello and smiling a little bit more than they do here. My concerns are like most people leaving family and friends daunting enough when your younger - not sure what to expect.

Off back to work check in later look forward to your comments
    HH

Jacqi B is offline Junior Member

Default hello HH

Welcome to the forum.
    I grew up in Barking, in Essex, although I'm in Bletchley now.
    We are hoping to be in NZ early next year. We've got our ITA (Invitation to Apply) already.
    Have you been to NZ before? How long will your reccie trip be for?
    Jacqi B

155 points - no job offer
    EOI submitted 19/0808
    ITA received 11/0908
    ITA submitted 17/11/08
    CO assigned 28/0209 wants more info (given 26/03)
    PR approved 15/5/09

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ, HH. Nice to see you here.

Quote Originally Posted by holistic hands
    It would be nice to be in a country that appears to welcome people saying hello and smiling a little bit more than they do here.
    I would agree with you on this. I found such a difference in the attitude of the people when we've visited NZ. We used to go out shopping just to experience the delights of people even acknowledging we existed, let alone have them chatting to us. It was a breath of fresh air.

It can be quite traumatic for some people to leave family and friends behind but, if you can put in place any of the different ways to communicate, the distance between you won't seem so bad. And they can always visit you, of course. It will give them an excuse to see what the bottom of the world looks like.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jacqi B is offline Junior Member

a friend of ours emigrated from UK to NZ about six years ago. She has been back for a few weeks every coule of years. This year she told me 'I keep frightening people in shops because I walk up to the people serving and say "hello! how are you?" which is normal in NZ but it freaks people out in the UK'
    Jacqi B

155 points - no job offer
    EOI submitted 19/0808
    ITA received 11/0908
    ITA submitted 17/11/08
    CO assigned 28/0209 wants more info (given 26/03)
    PR approved 15/5/09

Colecraft is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from an ex Burnham on Crouch

Hi HH

We both took the step 18 months ago and moved to NZ. giving up a nice secure home, family, friends and a resonable good life. We both feel that we made the right choice, we are both in late 40 and mid 50's and have been made to feel very much at home. It was hard to leave family and friends, people have been great and very friendly dispite moving to a rural area we have been made to feel welcome and wanted. We plan to visit UK next June for a wedding. We have had family and friends visit since leaving UK. All have enjoyed the stay and welcome they have received. Have a great holiday and enjoy the country and people.

Regards Colecraft

holistic hands is offline Junior Member

Default thank you

Hello to you all

thank you very much for all your replies - my daughter encouraged me to come onto the forums and im pleased i have.

We are looking forward to our visit in February great way for me to spend my birthday, my granddaughter having hers in America few weeks time in Minnies house she will be 3 . She says Indya have hers at Minnies house and Nanny with the Maoris, we took her to London earlier this year and saw the dancing and singing from the Maoris (hope im spelling it right) she loved it.

Have been glued to the tv watching "wanted down under" which is very interesting from so many angles.

I am also spending my time emailing various Reflexology and complementary therapists and trying to find associations/insurance as i am a Complementary/holistic therapist.

Well off to work now thanks look forward to chatting again

HH