Thread: Hello Everyone

shrubby is offline Junior Member

Default Hello Everyone

Hi
    We're a family of 5 who have longed to move to NZ for quite a few years now and at last are doing something about it. I have 3 kids two boys 19 and 17 and a 10 year old girl. We're all very outdoorsy and like the idea of a laid back lifestyle. Any thoughts you have will be gratefully received especially about housing....I have read some very negative comments regarding this and would love to hear something good
    Has anyone elso made the move with late teen children? If so how did they find the whole experience?

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum shrubby

Where are you moving from? What stage are you at with your emigration plans?

If you're all outdoorsy sorts of people, you'll love NZ. Teens can have problems in settling in, more so than younger children, in so much as they often have to leave behind an established group of friends, their school/college and sometimes even girl/boyfriends but as long as you get them meeting people and acknowledge their worries and problems, they should be fine. Our friend has a teenage daughter who initially wasn't too sure she wanted to remain here, but now she has settled into Uni and made lots of friends, she loves it!

What horror stories have you heard about the housing situation here? NZ is going through a recession at the moment, which the powers-that-be say won't last long. It has increased the cost of living significantly, even since we came here 4 years ago, but it's still perfectly manageable in most respects, although with 5 of you in the family, money may still be tight, depending on what your family income will be.

Anyway, glad to have you on board - hope we can help along the way

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome.

We made the move with 2 young children so can't help out on that matter. As for housing etc- we have a far bigger house than we could ever affor din the UK and infact my Hubby is even on a better wage than he was- all beit an much more demnding job.
    I guess it depends where you are coming from and how you live your lives as to how you will manage with the cost of living etc.

Nicky is making the move in a matter of weeks with teenage children- perhaps she can offer some advice on that front when she checks in.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Shrubby and

Re housing in NZ, there are some good and some so-so houses and some pretty dire ones. If you pick carefully and take your time rather than jumping in too quickly, you can do well. A lot of talk is about cold, damp houses but there are some with central heating, insulation and no damp if you hunt around. The government has now decreed that all houses must be insulated. I posted a news article yesterday about this on the What's in the news category. Whatever you do, don't think about buying anything (if that's the way you're going) off the Internet without seeing it first. Photos can be deceptive. If ther are any specific questions about housing you need answering, just ask away.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Shrubby, we are due to fly out in 3 weeks . We are bringing our 3 children - 19,16 &14 with us. It has not been an easy ride by any means. First the younger ones were reluctant to leave, my older daughter was staying here to finish Uni then decided almost at the last minute to come with us, my 16 yr old son fell in love and wanted to stay with his girlfriend (they have since broken up ) but now all three are excited about the new start and looking forward to it. I have no doubt when we arrive there will be more tears & dramas. My 16 yr old has been in touch with another ex brit (15yrs) and they have had good chats on MSN which has helped. If your kids are a litttle unsure or need more persuading then maybe that is an avenue to explore. Good luck with it all.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

shrubby is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Hi Shrubby, we are due to fly out in 3 weeks . We are bringing our 3 children - 19,16 &14 with us. It has not been an easy ride by any means. First the younger ones were reluctant to leave, my older daughter was staying here to finish Uni then decided almost at the last minute to come with us, my 16 yr old son fell in love and wanted to stay with his girlfriend (they have since broken up ) but now all three are excited about the new start and looking forward to it. I have no doubt when we arrive there will be more tears & dramas. My 16 yr old has been in touch with another ex brit (15yrs) and they have had good chats on MSN which has helped. If your kids are a litttle unsure or need more persuading then maybe that is an avenue to explore. Good luck with it all.
    Thanks so much everyone for your quick replies, I feel better already We are only just starting out on this adventure although it's been in the pipeline for a very long time, wanted to wait til both boys had finished their A levels.... July 09. I also have the problem of sons not wanting to leave girlfrinds so I'm expecting to have to ride out the 'tears and tantrums' stage too. The comments from MB about housing thanks again. I have looked at a forum before and all it said was housing was cold, damp, mouldy and pretty dreadful, quite alarming really. Now I don't feel so bad
    I'm sure I'll be posting lots of threads with probably very daft questions on here in the future so no doubt speak to you soon