Thread: Hello from Malta!

Maltamat is offline Junior Member

Smile Hello from Malta!

Hello everyone, my name is Mat and i'm from Wales, UK but currently living and working in Malta with my girlfriend Eleni (she is Maltese).
    We are both keen to spend some time in New Zealand working and exploring but would like some more advice and information.
    I am getting lots of conflicting advice so hopefully on this forum we can get help from people who have actually had similar experiences!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Mat. Welcome to MTNZ.

What part of Wales are you from? There are a few taffys on here from the Cardiff/Newport area i.e. Taffy (hence the name), Welshgirl and myself. Terry, who hasn't posted for a while, is from north Wales.

How did you find it, living and working in Malta?

I'll pop over to your other post now to see if I can help with your query .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

I'm from Machen a village near Caerphilly (between Cardiff and Newport).
    I've been in Malta for almost a year now and it's taken a while to get used to the difference in culture and temperature. It hasn't rained since April and is now about 38 degrees most days. I'm going back to see some Welsh rain next month! I'm really missing the mountains and scenery from Wales (I lived in Scotland for 6 years too) that's why i'm sure NZ is going to be amazing. Malta is very built up with very little greenery and wildlife, so for me it is a bit restrictive. My girlfriend fell in love with Wales when we visited earlier this year so i'm sure NZ will be an even bigger eye-opener.
    I just hope we get the visas!!!

Blog Entries

I've been through Machen several times and lived first in Rogerstone which is a village near Newport and then moved to Pontypool.

It's interesting to hear how people see a country when they've actually lived there rather than just visiting. If you like Wales and Scotland I'm sure you'll find plenty to thrill your heart in NZ. Plenty of greenery and mountains, sheep and cows. Lots of wide open spaces outside the cities .

If you haven't already seen them, here's a link to some photos from one of my NZ trips just to give you an idea how green it is there. If you look through the Photos n Things category I'm sure you'll find some more that folks have posted. I had another thread with photos from my first trip but the links are defunct now. I'll have to redo them on another site.
    Mother Bear

Good to know there are a few Taffy's out there! The photos look great, very similar to home. I just hope it doesn't rain as much as Wales!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maltamat View Post
    I just hope it doesn't rain as much as Wales!!
    Rumour has it that it does rain quite a bit, hence all the greenery, but there aren't those lingering, grey, drizzley days you get back home. It rains but it gets it over and done with instead of mucking about thinking about it .
    Mother Bear