Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Cruise Liner Capetonian

Nessy is offline Junior Member

Smile Hello from Cruise Liner Capetonian

Hello!!
    I am very happy to have come across this site! brilliant.. I was very confussed (and a little worried) about the situaition / catch 22 work visa and job offer thing.. think I am getting to understand it.. Job offer is the first thing to get!!??
    Let me introduce myself. I am 32. Currently living in Table View, Cape Town and planning every day my steps to get to NZ. I have been wanting to emmigrate to your beautiful country for a year now. My career history is working on Cruise Liners (America / Alaska / Europe). I return now on the 17th of October for another 6 month contract as purser with Princess Cruises.
    Thereafter I hope to have enough money to come to NZ.. to stay and for good. I want to change my career eventually. I want to be a hiking guide. I love nature and am passionate about animal welfare and conservation. I love languages and have self taught myself to be conversant in Italian, still busy perfecting that!! And want to learn Spanish too.
    I am an artist part time, more of a hobby.. and classical guitarist.
    I am very happy to be able to ask questions.

TanyaJ is offline Member

Hi Nessy! Good luck with your move!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome on board!
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nessy . I think I welcomed you on another thread.

You sound a very busy person. I'm surprised you've even got time to think about emigrating let alone do it. Keep up the good work and good luck with your plans.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Smile thank you.. first steps

Hello mother bear!
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I must tell you, Kiwis are very warm and friendly people. I am impressed and wish I was there already!! Yes! busy.. as cruise liners is the way I am saving enough money to come over. I would so appreciate your help. How much money do I need to have per month so support myself? I will be comming over on my own. I am wanting to become a hiking guide - there is a company in Christchurch where I want to go. I am setting myself up for alot, but I want more out of life and I love nature and animal welfare... so ontop of emmigrating, I want a career change! Also, I am comming over as a visitor and will be looking for work once there. Is this ok? but from what I can figure out, it is better to be in NZ while looking for work, as well as the fact that I dont qualify in the points section for the EOI scenario.
    With so much gratitude and happiness that I have found you guys.. thank you x

Blog Entries

You would need about NZ$1000 per month if you are coming on a visit visa.

The one problem with a career change is that you possibly haven't got any qualifications or previous experience in what you now want to do. It is very difficult to stay in NZ long term if you haven't got these vital ingredients, although I really can't say what qualifications a hiking guide would need. There is a new Essential Skills Policy out now that replaces the old way of applying for a Work Permit. Even if you were to apply for a Work to Residence Visa you still need to be qualified in some way for the job and you would need a job offer from an accredited employer i.e. one who has permission to employ overseas staff.

Maybe the best way to go about this is to contact the company you have in mind to see if they can help find a way around this. I know NZ is keen to employ people in the tourist trade. Maybe you could gain some work experience if you are 30 years old or younger and can apply for a Working Holiday Visa. You aren't so restricted with that other than you can't work full time in the job.
    Mother Bear

Cool working visa??

Hello again...
    your replies are so detailed. Thank you. I agree.. I need the skills to become a hiking guide. I have contacted a company in Christchurch called HikingNewZealand. I will see what they say. I am from South Africa, so as far as I know, I do not need any visa to enter the country as a visitor. I can come into the country for 3 months, but then that is where the stress comes in... I need to make sure I find a job in those 3 months. So initially I think I will have to look for work in any kind of Tourism Trade. I dont have any official qualifications.. but alot of experience in hospitality and customer relations. So I would really have to persevere. Do you have any suggestions for accomodation once I land in Christchurch??
    I am so scared, but I really want to emmigrate. Look forward to hear from you again x

Wink another thing..

hey, would you suggest i try find an accredited employer while I am here or once I get to NZ, and how do I know they are an "accredited employer"?? Thanks x

Blog Entries

There is a list of accredited employers. If a potential employer you are interested in is not on this list, they need to prove to INZ that they want to take you on because they can't find a kiwi suitable for the position. Unfortunately, there aren't that many tourist-oriented companies on there, which surprises me. If you type in 'tourism' in the box at the top it will take you directly to those companies.

I'm still a bit concerned though whether you would be able to get a Work Permit for a job as a hiking guide, which isn't considered to be a skilled job. If you are in touch with a particular company in NZ, it might be a good idea to ask them to check this out for you, so you know where you stand.
    Mother Bear

Unhappy work / study... confussed.

Hello again. I am feeling a little overwhelmed today. I am not sure if I should just hop on a plane, and risk it and job hunt like crazy once here.. risky. I do not have any formal qualifications in tourism or hospitality. But loads of experience. Hence I want to further myself and study enviromental and conservation studies. I really want to work in the environment. Anyway, getting off the topic! I did check out the accredited employers... hmm... I dont fit into any of those :( Another option I have is to come in and study (environmental) and then apply for work eventually... need lots of money. What would you do? I can take the risky route and eventually study once got permanent residency.. or study and finally get involved in work I love.
    Well chat again, thanks so much for listening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast