Thread: hi im new to this HELP!!

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

Smile hi im new to this HELP!!

hi there, my names Dawn, im married with 3 children, and we hope very soon to be joining you in your great country, we are currently living in the uk,

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Dawn

What part of NZ are you headed to? Have you got your residency yet?

Ask away with any questions you may have, there's usually someone who can help

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn. to Move to NZ.

We have another Dawn on the forum, but I don't think there's much chance of mistaking one for the other .

Have you ever visited NZ before or are you one of those intrepid souls who just cuts ties with your native country and sets sail for pastures new?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Smile

Hello!
    Thankyou for getting in touch, we have started the process into coming over, (points etc) my husband is a plumber by trade, but also combined with this comes general household maintance, im a hairdresser by trade, not that i do much at the mo due to being a stay at home mum, we have been told that our application for permamant recidence can go through fairly quickly, so we have lots to do here first, ( you know clearing out junk)etc, we have also had to look into bringing two dogs over with us, jabs and passports, so lots to do,
    so we have been doing the normal things looking into a life changing experiance, we have 3 children, a girl of 4 years, boy of 7 years and another girl who is 10 years old, we like northlands, whangarei and surrounding areas so we have just started to look into schools for their ages we have found the schools kamo! i think that was the one who covers all 3 ages not sure! any advise would be great as we hope to come over for a holiday very soon so we can get a feel for that area to help the children find their feet, also we would like property that has a little land so that i can keep a couple of horses as im very much the great outdoors type, my son loves growing veggies, so please any help would be truly welcome, the kids can not wait and wan't it to happen now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Dawn

What part of NZ are you headed to? Have you got your residency yet?

Ask away with any questions you may have, there's usually someone who can help
    hello welsh girl
    thanx for your reply, help would be great! everything can move so fast here,so we are doing all the investigating first ,area's schools etc, we like the area of whangarei, so we have been checking out properties with a little land as we would like to have a couple of horses and maybe other things, we will be bringing two daft dogs with us also, my son loves to grow things so that would be good for him, also due to the speed of things my husband John has been looking for job oppertunities he's a plumber by trade,
    so with all this to consider we need to come over for a couple of weeks to see what we can achieve first, once we have done that we can then sort the house out here etc, so yes please help!
    its great getting to know you all

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn & welcome

We're in Glasgow - whereabouts in the UK are you guys?

I'm a kiwi & hubby Scottish, also a plumber so ask away with any work questions. The one (biggest) thing to be aware of is that NZ doesn't acknowledge UK quals Hubby is qualified to technican level & was told to leave them at home - they're worthless! So he will therefore start as an apprentice - how's that for someone with over 25 years exp?! Your hubby will need to be prepared for a big drop in wages - we've been quoted $15-16phr in Hamilton (I would guess Whangarei the same or possibly a bit less) rising to $26ph which is what NZ qualified plumbers are on in Hamilton.

The latest info we have as far as jobs go in Hamilton (we've a few contacts there) is that they're not hiring "officially" but most will take on good plumbers.

Just thought - this is in respect of commercial plumbing so domestic may be different (if anything less work) but will give you something to go on. I hope this doesn't come across as negative, but you need to know the good & the bad. I would definitely go for a visit if you can & contact as many companies as you can. I can ask my contacts in Hamilton if they can put you onto any in the Whangarei area but otherwise just google 'em.

Anything else - just yell!

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

Quote Originally Posted by keeweegal View Post
    Hi Dawn & welcome

We're in Glasgow - whereabouts in the UK are you guys?

I'm a kiwi & hubby Scottish, also a plumber so ask away with any work questions. The one (biggest) thing to be aware of is that NZ doesn't acknowledge UK quals Hubby is qualified to technican level & was told to leave them at home - they're worthless! So he will therefore start as an apprentice - how's that for someone with over 25 years exp?! Your hubby will need to be prepared for a big drop in wages - we've been quoted $15-16phr in Hamilton (I would guess Whangarei the same or possibly a bit less) rising to $26ph which is what NZ qualified plumbers are on in Hamilton.

The latest info we have as far as jobs go in Hamilton (we've a few contacts there) is that they're not hiring "officially" but most will take on good plumbers.

Just thought - this is in respect of commercial plumbing so domestic may be different (if anything less work) but will give you something to go on. I hope this doesn't come across as negative, but you need to know the good & the bad. I would definitely go for a visit if you can & contact as many companies as you can. I can ask my contacts in Hamilton if they can put you onto any in the Whangarei area but otherwise just google 'em.

Anything else - just yell!

KG
    hi keeweegal,
    thanks for your reply,
    we are living in bournemouth dorset,
    my husband is in the domestic catogory of plumbing and he says thankyou and he will look into it more so no it hasn't come across as negative, just very helpfull, theres so much to consider, it would be great if you could look into it with your contacts you are very kind, is there anything else you tell me about your home land, so where did you live etc, it would be great hearing from you
    thanks again Dawn