Thread: New to Northland

Ideabaker is offline Junior Member

Default New to Northland

Hi all, wanted to introduce myself... I am in a relationship with a Kiwi man who has recently relocated to Northland (my last seven visits to him have been at his old home in Tauranga). We just picked a house for him up here and I am beginning the (frustrating!) process of trying to emigrate over. Got my teacher's certification from the NZ Teacher's Council, opened the joint bank account with him, and now just looking for the right moment to make the leap. (I have been here in NZ now for six weeks).

A bit about me, well, obviously I'm a schoolteacher (primary school) and I love cooking, health and fitness, volunteering for museums, and spending time with friends and their kids.

So glad there is a community of folks moving to NZ like me! Looking forward to exploring the site and getting to know you!

ideabaker

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Ideabaker (would love an explanation about your name )

Nice to have you along for the ride, we'll be glad to try and help out with any questions/worries you may have

What do you think of NZ as a permanent home then? Where are you originally from?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Welcome! As you can see by my signature, I've been there and done that so I would be happy to offer any advice or help that I can. I can relate 100% to the frustration with the whole process!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Ideabaker.

You certainly seem to have made a few trips to NZ to see your man. You must be very popular with the airlines . How do you rate Northland compared to Tauranga, which is quite a favoured destination?

We look forward to seeing you around and if you have any questions, ask away .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Ideabaker (would love an explanation about your name )

Nice to have you along for the ride, we'll be glad to try and help out with any questions/worries you may have

What do you think of NZ as a permanent home then? Where are you originally from?

Hi Welshgirl, I hope I'm replying in the right place, couldn't type in the "quick reply" box, still getting familiar with the site. I love NZ and think it is a perfect place to live, especially with children (don't have any yet, but there's always the future!). The name "ideabaker" is one I use in any forum, as I am always cooking up new ideas inside and outside the kitchen! Glad to be here and thank you for your warm welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by 1happywoman View Post
    Welcome! As you can see by my signature, I've been there and done that so I would be happy to offer any advice or help that I can. I can relate 100% to the frustration with the whole process!

1happywoman, wow-- thanks for showing that it can be done... congratulations on your work permit. I have yet to set a timetable for the big move, but it has to be in the next year or my teaching certification will time out, so am looking for a teaching position posthaste in NZ! I hear that the govt. will give a relocation grant to teachers of four thousand dollars (Kiwi) which would help a lot, and teaching is on the skills shortage list which I hope will help with the whole process. Looking forward to chatting with you more in the future and tracking your progress and thoughts before during and after the move!

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Ideabaker.

You certainly seem to have made a few trips to NZ to see your man. You must be very popular with the airlines . How do you rate Northland compared to Tauranga, which is quite a favoured destination?

We look forward to seeing you around and if you have any questions, ask away .
    MotherBear, yes, I am becoming quite the fixture with the airlines. I actually prefer Northland to the Bay of Plenty (not weatherwise in winter, but the smaller population), though they are both beautiful. Unfortunately it has rained every day for the past five weeks up here, and we just had those two tropical storms, but the sun is out for now, so I'm headed out the door to grab some food to cook up for dinner. Thank you for your Bearhug welcome!

Smile Moving to NZ

"Ideabaker" came about because I love to cook, and I'm always thinking up new ideas of things to do with various ingredients to create new dishes. I find the pace of life and the lifestyle as a whole much more rewarding in New Zealand than in America (I live in New York... BIG difference!). Am looking forward to moving over and experiencing it for a longer time (longest visit was two months) while working.

Thanks to all for your warm reception here!