Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Newbie

Islander is offline Junior Member

Default Another Newbie

Hey - just signing in for the first time. I used this site a lot before I moved over to NZ a few years ago.
    Now settled, living in Oneroa on Waiheke Island.
    Happy to be of use if you have any questions I might be able to answer!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hey Islander, Welcome to the forum, glad you signed up. I hope we were of assistance to you when you used our site before your move

Where are you from originally? I take it you're happily settled in NZ? Any particular upsides or downsides for you?

Nice to have you on board anyway

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I used this site a lot before I moved over to NZ a few years ago.
    Does that make us feel old?

Islander. It's so good to have a 'returning' member who is happy to lend a hand. I'm sure it will be most appreciated.

It's also good to know you made it to NZ and are settled into your new life.

Waiheke Island? I don't think we've had anyone from that neck of the woods before. How is island life compared to the mainland?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Islander is offline Junior Member

Yep - can confirm the site was very useful in the run up to moving and would recommend anyone looking around to sign up and ask away!

No downsides to being over here - I can honestly say there is nothing (except certain family) I miss about the UK - in all honesty the odd bits I see on the news make me miss it even less. Haven't been back to visit nor do I have any plans to do so currently!

Life on the island absolutely sucks and is completely impractical for anyone to even consider commuting and I would not recommend living here in a million years. ahem!

No, it's great. Small community, lots to do, and the boat trip is the best way to get headspace twice a day. Even if there is a huge storm raging here as I write this and am expecting the power to go off soon... Would be VERY reluctant to go back to the mainland to live now. 20 boats a day each way - it's not that isolated. Maybe I should look at the Barrier or Rakino....

Mark+Steph is offline Junior Member

Hi Islander
    We are new to this site and are findng it really helpful!!!
    We are in the process of making our mind up- to move to NZ-- we are 95% there- for me its just leaving my Mum and Brother behind!!!
    We are wanting to give our kids a better life- England can no longer offer that- as crime and terrorism are rising and the government don't seem to be doing anything about it!!!
    How did you break the news to you close family about your move? Also I watched the vids on here about gangs ( with Ross Kemp) eventhough the bits that I watched- didn't seem as scary as the stuff we hear here!!! Is there alot about in the public eye? Do people fear for there safety when the gangs are about? Or more than likely- I am worrying over nothing?
    I would be greatful for any help-- Once that is sorted-- Hello New Zealand- goodbye GB!!!!
    Thanks again xxx
    Steph xxxxx

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark+Steph View Post
    Hi Islander
    We are new to this site and are findng it really helpful!!!
    We are in the process of making our mind up- to move to NZ-- we are 95% there- for me its just leaving my Mum and Brother behind!!!
    We are wanting to give our kids a better life- England can no longer offer that- as crime and terrorism are rising and the government don't seem to be doing anything about it!!!
    How did you break the news to you close family about your move? Also I watched the vids on here about gangs ( with Ross Kemp) eventhough the bits that I watched- didn't seem as scary as the stuff we hear here!!! Is there alot about in the public eye? Do people fear for there safety when the gangs are about? Or more than likely- I am worrying over nothing?
    I would be greatful for any help-- Once that is sorted-- Hello New Zealand- goodbye GB!!!!
    Thanks again xxx
    Steph xxxxx
    hi Steph,
    im new here too,
    Not as far along in the process as you, but are getting there, and i share your concerns also, However i still feel that the crime is far worse than ever in the uk, So i would be also interested what others say on the forum!
    Dawn

Hi Skuttle7

Thanks for you post-- its nice to know we are not alone in the quest for a life in NZ.

The crime is terrible here-- and I thhink it will get worse and unsafe for our kids!!!

Where abouts are you from?

We are in sunny Swindon-- another reasin to move he he he

LOL Steph xxxxx

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Also I watched the vids on here about gangs ( with Ross Kemp) eventhough the bits that I watched- didn't seem as scary as the stuff we hear here!!! Is there alot about in the public eye? Do people fear for there safety when the gangs are about? Or more than likely- I am worrying over nothing?
    The gangs are a fact of life in NZ, but it seems that the troubles relating to them is centred more in the big cities. Most of the time it is gang v. gang and doesn't often spread to others outside the gang culture, so I don't think there is any need to worry.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hello

Thanks again-- less worried now-- I think with the stuff going on here - it seems that the gangs are moving to smaller areas and link all gangs- with the monsters here!!!!
    I have a very close friend who is a native new zealander- and lives in Auckland-- but haven't told her our plans yet- as not sure she would encourage and don't want to say anything til we are really sure!!!
    Thanks again
    xxxx

skuttle7 is offline Junior Member

Hi Skuttle7

Thanks for you post-- its nice to know we are not alone in the quest for a life in NZ.

The crime is terrible here-- and I thhink it will get worse and unsafe for our kids!!!

Where abouts are you from?

We are in sunny Swindon-- another reasin to move he he he

LOL Steph xxxxx
    we are in sunny bournemouth (not) the weather is more like october, kids are so bored, almost gale force winds last night!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast