Thread: Medical Conditions

Kirstpaul is offline Junior Member

Default Medical Conditions

We had considered moving to NZ but I've recently just been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease which results in hypotyroidism can someone tell me where the list is of the diseases they won't even consider u with? I remember seeing it when browsing a few months ago.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you've had this bad news. It seems to depend how severe the disease is as to whether INZ will accept you. It's possible, if there is a problem, for you to apply for a medical waiver.

Appendix 10: Medical conditions deemed to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealandís health and/or education services

HIV infection
    Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
    Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
    Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment
    Exceptions are:
    a) treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
    b) malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
    Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
    Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
    Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
    Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimerís and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
    Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
    Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
    Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
    Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone

In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
    In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

^^^^^ based on what MB posted, and since they usually don't treat hypothyroidism with prednisone or anything stronger, you may be fine. (I have hypothyroidism due to having had half my thyroid removed and take levothyroxine, a very common and inexpensive medication, to treat it.) It will really depend on what the autoimmune disease is, however, because they will probably look at whether this could affect other systems in the future. Grave's disease is an autoimmune disease that is rather easily treated (thyroid is affected) so not one to really pose a financial threat. But, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis are also autoimmune diseases that could result in costly treatments and debility over time.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Kirstpaul is offline Junior Member

Yup I have Hashimoto's Disease, some people say because I've got one autoimmune others will follow. I'm on levothyroxine at the mo but still regulating the amount. No-one's said anything for the future as no-one knows for certain, I am still very active and it doesn't effect me that much other than the fatigue!

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

You should be fine, then! The fatigue from hypothyroidism - boy, do I remember that! Nothing like working at a desk all day and feeling like you can't wait to get home and sit on the couch the rest of the evening, and just dragging around. Do the research for yourself and make sure all your levels are where they should be - not just TSH. (Hashimoto's is the most common thyroid disorder in the US.) I can't think this would pose any problem at all in getting to New Zealand.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Definition
    Hashimoto's disease causes inflammation of your thyroid, a butterfly-shaped gland located at the base of your neck, just below your Adam's apple. Although it weighs less than an ounce, the thyroid gland has an enormous effect on your health. It's part of your endocrine system, which is made up of several glands and tissues that produce hormones. These chemical messengers coordinate many of your body's activities, from digestion to metabolism to reproduction.

Hashimoto's disease is an autoimmune disorder in which your immune system inappropriately attacks your thyroid gland, causing damage to your thyroid cells and upsetting the balance of chemical reactions in your body. The inflammation caused by Hashimoto's disease, also known as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, often leads to an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). Hashimoto's disease is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the United States.

Doctors use blood tests of thyroid function to detect Hashimoto's disease. Treatment of Hashimoto's disease with thyroid hormone replacement medication usually is simple and effective.

If you can sell it to INZ that treatment can be simple perhaps it won't affect your chances of getting in.

Good luck. I hope you can find a way around this if you still want to get to NZ. You could always fall back on a medical waiver if need be.
    Mother Bear

xueli is offline Junior Member

I came across this thread and started to worry about myself...I and planning to get a PR soon or later after I graduate from a university in NZ, which i m currently applying for an entry.

maybe thinking about getting a PR is too far for me but surely I will need a student visa soon and medical report is needed, too.

I have thoraic scoliosis of around 35 degree of curvature to my right. To apply for a student visa, a chest X-ray is needed...so...will this be an obstacle for me to get a student visa (or PR)?

Blog Entries

Xueli, the list of problematic health conditions is listed above. I can't see anything that mentions scoliosis, but check through just to make sure. If, in the end, there appears to be a problem with INZ you could always apply for a medical waiver.

There shouldn't be a problem getting a Student Visa because they are more short term. INZ doesn't want people coming in to stay permanently if their health conditions are going to be costly and time consuming for the health service.
    Mother Bear

xueli is offline Junior Member

thanks Motherbear....then i think there is nto much for me to worry about.