Thread: Hi From Texas

texascowboy is offline Junior Member

Default Hi From Texas

Hi everyone...I am new to the this forum and feel fortunate to have found such a helpful site. I have visited this site many times and finally decided to join...Hopefully, we can share our immigration experience and help other members, as their experiences have helped us. Anyway, I am a native Texan married to a wonderful Kiwi lady (5 years). We recently moved to Amarillo from Dallas to be with family before our relocation to New Zealand. I was in New Zealand (Wellington/Kapiti Coast area) for a visit during the Fall of 2005 and absolutely fell in love with New Zealand. Honestly, it was quite hard returning to the States. As you can see by my signature, we are well into the immigration process, but if I can be of help to anyone, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again for having such a great forum.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Texascowboy. Glad to have you with us.

I'm sure any assistance and advice you can give on the forum will be much appreciated. We have quite a few Americans on board so it's always useful to have input from a US point of view. Just join in where you can and thanks very much for the offer of help.

Good luck with the immigration process.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

texascowboy

Glad we tempted you into our evil clutches eventually..... ermm, I mean glad you decided to come on board Very nice of you to offer assistance, good luck with your plans too

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hi Texascowboy, We are too looking into migrating to NZ from Ohio. Its been over a year now since our short visit and over 3 years thinking about it. Next year (between August-Oct) I want to proceed to the next step, Migrate. I thought the excitment would fade away after our visit, but it hasnt. We just got back from Roatan and it dawned on me....I love island life.
    A few things concern me about migrating though, 1st thing is my pug(or my goodluck charm), leaving her just destroy's me but Kate(OH) thinks its the best thing to do, yes, I think family would take her, but again she has only given me goodluck. 2nd would be getting a job offer. I am a boilermaker at trade, and NZ posts plenty of jobs for kiwis only, and there seems to be plenty of agencies that want to help, but Im confused on what to do. Go there first by myself to locate a job and set up camp, then send the ladies, or all go together.
    It seems like Auckland is smartest place to start for a job search, but Taranaki, Whangerei, Dunedin(gold mine) post some pretty intresting jobs, ideally Lyttelton was my favorite because of the small town feeling and close to ChCh.
    My favorite quote is from the first Batman movie when the Joker(Jack) says "so much to do in such little time"

Good Luck too You

texascowboy is offline Junior Member

Thanks to MotherBear and Welshgirl for your warm welcome.

Duke, I know what you mean about New Zealand. Once you visit, it becomes a prevalent thought to relocate there.

As an animal lover myself, I know you face a tough decision regarding your "pug". I understand it can be expensive to "immigrate" that part of your family with you, but quite a few have done so.

When searching for employment, I have not been confonted with kiwi only positions, however, I am looking in a different field. Perhaps the agency route for you would be a better avenue. More jobs would probably be available in Auckland, but if you prefer the "small town feel", Auckland would not be in that category. You might make a separate post regarding employment and see what replies you get.