Thread: Geordies in NZ

senseiclark is offline Junior Member

Default Geordies in NZ

Hi all

Newcastle born couple here moved to sunny Bay of Plenty in Nov 2006.

Im a high school teacher and former pro musician my wife is working at the local council(she used to work for Inland revenue in UK). We had a nightmare getting here through all the red tape and medical problems, NZQA etc but we persisted and appealed etc and now here we are. We have 2 sons, 9, the other 17. Im mad into sports bikes, Moto GP etc(Had to sell me bike in UK before coming here) Got no biking or muso buddies here though and im missing that

anyhoo. All you prospective Kiwis etc if your having a problem with the immigration system we probably went through it. It took us 20 months from initial job offer until I was on the plane!!!!

anyone wanna get in touch, feel free

Lee and Barbara

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum both

I think I'm correct in saying you're the first Geordies we've had on here *hides in case she's wrong and gets shouted at*

Sorry to hear you had a bit of a difficult time to get here, but all's well that ends well, eh?

We lived in Tauranga when we first came to NZ, in Ohauiti but we moved to Hamilton after a few months and been here ever since. Pity cos I love music and I love motorbikes (although I won't pretend my knowledge of them is fantastic ), we could have talked for hours (actually, I would have made YOU talk for hours, I love the Geordie accent) hehehe.....

Anyway, welcome again, hope to see you around

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    I think I'm correct in saying you're the first Geordies we've had on here *hides in case she's wrong and gets shouted at*

I would point out that I, myself, personally, am a Geordie. I was born in Billingham in what was then County Durham (Cleveland now, I believe?) and then lived in Morpeth during my tender years.

I won't shout at you, WG, as I now, apparently, have a Welsh accent, so you wouldn't necessarily know I was Geordie-born.

Anyway, a big to Lee and Barbara. Glad to see you finally got to NZ despite all your problems. Hope it's been worth the struggle and the long wait.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Why-aye Moother Bear, I canna imagine you wiv a Geordie accent

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I left Geordieland when I was about 8 and went down to Wales where no one could understand what I was saying . They soon knocked me into shape though and made sure I ended up with a Welsh accent, which I've obviously still got, as someone commented the other day about it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

senseiclark is offline Junior Member

Default geordie stuff

well, billingham (clevelad)is aroun 30 miles.....maybe 45 k south of newcastle and morpeth (northumberland)is around 35 k north of newcastle(tyne and wear).......

anyhoo nice to have a reply

stanley is offline Member

Hi, we are geordies too, in fact we live 10 miles from Morpeth, my hubby is into motorbikes as well, in fact before we did a trip to NZ i had bribed my husband with a Ducatti to get him there, that is he gets it when we get there. After our visit though he fell in love with NZ. We are desperate to be over there but we have to sell our house first, our son is 15 and the plan is to sell up as soon as pos then rent till he finishes his exams this time next year then we're off. I am really worried now though, my brother works for big housbuilding firm in the UK and they are predicting things taking 3 years to reverse and houses selling again, i would be gutted if this happened as our son would have to start college here and probably get himself a girlfriend, so we are keeping everything crossed here.

Paula.

Bunstar is offline Member

Hello!

Welcome to the fourm!! Where in the sunny BOP are you? (And I have to say it was beautifully sunny today!!)

We're in Tauranga, having moved here in November 2007. I should really get my OH to post and say hello as he loves F1. He was trying to convince some friends of ours that motorsport was more interesting than golf the other day but being golfers they weren't having any of it!!!

Clare