Thread: On our way!!!

Anna07 is offline Junior Member

Default On our way!!!

Hi Everybody,

Myself and my family (husband and 2 small children) have just received our residency visas and will be arriving in NZ in November. I had been so looking forward to our overseas adventure and am now really nervous at the prospect, are we doing the right thing etc etc....

I am fortunate enough to have a sister and friends in NZ and a place to stay when we arrive (Mount Maunganui - beautiful but fairly pricey!) We have to have somewhere permanent by June though as my daughter will be starting Primary. I imagine we will remain around Tauranga though.

I was just wondering if anybody else felt the same as I do at the moment? Head spinning with thoughts, what to bring and what to leave behind,
    schools, jobs, who'll take the cat?!?!?! I could go on....

I have been following your forums for a while now and have found it a great help so a very big thank you to you all.

Anna

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the forum

I think everyone gets the spinny-head syndrome before making the move, just part of the process!! You've picked a nice spot to start though, Tauranga is a beautful area
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Bunstar is offline Member

Hi Anna,

Welcome to the forum!!

I felt exactly the same way as it got closer to actually making the move. It's only natural and there's so much to organise!!! Just take a deep breath, try and plan what needs doing and when and factor in lots of enjoyment time with your family and friends before you leave.

Good luck with everything,
    Clare

Anna07 is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I absolutely adore NZ and dream about the place. It's just a pity I can't transport EVERYTHING with me!!!!

Even though I have family and friends there I know that I am going to have to start afresh and make new friends. How did you cope with the "what ifs", ( you know like if your sick and can't look after kids or who to call in an emergency?) I am also leaving a lovely home and know that I will have to start again from stratch once I get there.

The one thing my sister told me (she is married to a farmer outside Hamilton) is that the time difference does make a huge difference in that it makes you a lot more independent, can't ring Mum up at 2 in the morning if something happens!!!!!!

Anna

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Anna and

Sounds like you're going through the normal pre-big-life-changing-event nerves. It's rather like getting married and wondering if you're doing the right thing. You may feel it more because you're leaving your security network and a home you are particularly happy with behind you. I'm sure, once you're in NZ and start to put down roots, everything will fall into place for you. It's just a bit of 'fear of the unknown'. When you get there and see how things work and you can start to build your new life, it'll all come good.

All the best to you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Hi Anna, we arrive in September and my head is spinning so much it is in danger of falling off I know exactly how you feel, the time getting to this point seemed to drag and now it is going so fast. Good luck with it all.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

DizzyF is offline Member

I am feeling the same. Applied for PR and it came through really fast. Just found out we get a better tax rebate if we leave in November...six months earlier than we planned so I am now feeling scared as we only have 4 months left in UK. Excited too as I think once you get the visa you don't want to hang around. Good Luck with your plans!

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anna07 View Post
    Hi Everybody,

Myself and my family (husband and 2 small children) have just received our residency visas and will be arriving in NZ in November. I had been so looking forward to our overseas adventure and am now really nervous at the prospect, are we doing the right thing etc etc....

I am fortunate enough to have a sister and friends in NZ and a place to stay when we arrive (Mount Maunganui - beautiful but fairly pricey!) We have to have somewhere permanent by June though as my daughter will be starting Primary. I imagine we will remain around Tauranga though.

I was just wondering if anybody else felt the same as I do at the moment? Head spinning with thoughts, what to bring and what to leave behind,
    schools, jobs, who'll take the cat?!?!?! I could go on....

I have been following your forums for a while now and have found it a great help so a very big thank you to you all.

Anna
    Oh how jelous am I! haha
    Only kidding.
    I am sure everything will go well and I am sure sure that everyone gets the moving jitters!

At least you have family there who can help you get settled.

Anyway good luck

Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!