Thread: Hello from the uk

joanneandroy is offline Junior Member

Wink Hello from the uk

hi guys,
    me(joanne) and my husband(roy) are really excited about getting out to newzealand. My husband got a job offer last week as a painter and decorator in Rangiora/ Waimakariri we are so excited.Well we dont actually know what to do next. We have looked at the EOI form what a nightmare.( i am just printing out the 48 pages of help on eoi) lol
    I dont know whether or not we should go down the skilled migrant catergory or what. Any help would be appreciated.
    If i can go down the skilled migrant catergory( is a painter and decorator skilled)i have 165 points.(according to the quick points check)
    We really need as much help as possible as we dont want to wait months and monhsbecause im not really sure whether the employer will hold the position open for that long.
    I really jst dont know what to do, anyone got any advice on the best and quickest way to get out to newzealand???
    Many thanks guys
    joanne and roy x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi to you both and .

Double-check me to make sure painter and decorator aren't on either the Long Term Skill Shortage List or the Immediate Skill Shortage List. If they aren't your best way into NZ would be to try to get a job offer and then apply for a Work Permit. You could then work your way to residency.

If you could get a job offer from an accredited employer with a salary of $50,000 (although I believe this has now gone up to $55k) you could apply for a Work to Residence Visa . It would take 2 years before being able to apply for a residence visa.

If you aren't able to find a job that easily (as can happen with people living outside NZ) what many folks do is travel to NZ on a Visit Visa, get a job offer while in the country and then apply for a Work Permit which will allow you to work in NZ. This should also enable you to work your way to residency.

I hope this isn't too complicated to follow. It is a difficult process, trying to get into NZ to live and work so don't worry about asking as many questions as you wish.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

joanneandroy is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi to you both and .

Double-check me to make sure painter and decorator aren't on either the Long Term Skill Shortage List or the Immediate Skill Shortage List. If they aren't your best way into NZ would be to try to get a job offer and then apply for a Work Permit. You could then work your way to residency.

If you could get a job offer from an accredited employer with a salary of $50,000 (although I believe this has now gone up to $55k) you could apply for a Work to Residence Visa . It would take 2 years before being able to apply for a residence visa.

If you aren't able to find a job that easily (as can happen with people living outside NZ) what many folks do is travel to NZ on a Visit Visa, get a job offer while in the country and then apply for a Work Permit which will allow you to work in NZ. This should also enable you to work your way to residency.

I hope this isn't too complicated to follow. It is a difficult process, trying to get into NZ to live and work so don't worry about asking as many questions as you wish.
    Hi there motherbear,
    Thanks for the welcome!
    My husband has already been offered a job in nz thats the thing. I have checked the long and immediate shortage list and nope you got it right painter and decorator is not on there
    What im trying to find out is can we apply through the skilled migrant catergory?
    So if my husband has a job offer shall we just go for submitting the eoi?Im not exactly sure how much my husbands going to be earning so im nt sure whether its going to be $55.000 is this a big problem?(we are awaiting a response from the employer)
    Many thanks for your help!
    joanne x

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joanneandroy View Post
    My husband has already been offered a job in nz thats the thing.
    I'm not paying attention in class again. That's a great start if he already has a job offer.

The quickest way to get him to NZ and working is to apply for a General Work Permit. It shouldn't take very long for a WP to come through as opposed to applying for residency directly which can take many months and requires a job skill listed in the LTSSL to apply although they don't always make this obvious. Once he has the WP he will be able to work toward residency but, I believe, the requirement for a WTR visa would be that he earned $55k or more and also that his employer is accredited (vetted and approved to take on employees from overseas). You can read more about WPs and other visas by scanning through this work guide. All the different ways of getting in are very confusing and it's a case of picking the right one for your circumstances.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.