Thread: Great News

AHoney is offline Junior Member

Talking Great News

We had our interview yesterday at New Zealand house and my husband has been offered a position witin the NZ Royal Navy.

One question I would like to ask for those in the know, is his starting salary is just over $61,000 dollars is that good? Is it enough for a family of 5? Any advice would be as always greatly received. Thanks
    Are we there yet!

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to say well done Bet you must be thrilled.

We're not yet in NZ, so can't answer your question about money .. I know that I'm hoping to earn $85k ish .. and that we should be Ok as a family of 4.

It's true we aint never gonna be millionaires, but will keep us fed and clothed and maybe a few treats - but then we were never going to NZ to be rich so nowt to be disappointed about.
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Can I ask Lou what it is that you do? My husband has been in the Royal Navy for 22 years and is a senior rank, to join the NZ Navy he will be demoted and he will also take quite a huge pay cut. I know for us its a way in but I just want to know what is a reasonable wage, the immigration sites states that professionals with a trade can earn up to $49,000 but that does seem rather low and I have read some threads on here paticularly with people involved with the IT industry earning twice that amount. Thanks
    Are we there yet!

Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)

Congrats on the job offer - what great news.

Just wanted to stick my nose in re the wages - we lived in NZ from June 06 to May 07, and one of the biggest shocks for us was the low wages compared to a relatively high cost of living. My hubby works in IT and he did take approx 30% pay cut to get a similar job in NZ - he was earning around $70k which was excellent pay for the Bay of Plenty area where we were living. The main problem we found was that we "expected" to be able to maintain the same standard of living that we had in the UK - new cars, nice house, Sky+, decent clothes for us and the kids, heating, Spa pool, a bottle of wine when we wanted - basically all the materialistic trappings, and it was a real struggle to realise that we couldn't afford ALL the luxuries that we had come to expect. Many of my friends over there managed perfectly well, but they are the people who aren't as materialistic as we are, or who were prepared to compromise on things like their housing, the area they live in, the car that they drive, and who realise that they will never get to holdiay around the world on their Kiwi dollar wages, but they appreciate so much the wonderful place they live in, and the freedom that they and their children have.

We had a wonderful experience in spending a year in NZ - we got to meet some wonderful people, both native NZ'ers and many ex-pats from all around the world, we love the countryside and nature of NZ, and we got the experience of building our own dream home, something we could never have done in UK with high cost and scarcity of building plots.

If you are the type of person who NZ appeals to, then you will have a fabulous new life over there, but it doesn't work for everyone. We will definitely visit NZ again, there is so much that we want to see and do - but for us, it was the right decision to come home. As a family we are happier and more settled here than we ever were in NZ, and I feel that the children have a more secure future here (they are only 3, 2 and 8 months, so who know what adventures we will get up to - we never say never to trying emigrating again, not to NZ but there is the whole rest of the world to explore)

Best wishes with all your planning and preparations, and congrats again for the job offer

Maggie xx

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Well done on the interview. I take it things went smoother than last time? As regards wages - I am not yet in NZ (will be in September) but as a nurse with 2 years experience I will be on a salary of approx. $50k. We have done a budget using figures gained from this site and other research and have worked out that as a family of 5 (3 teenagers!!) we should just be able to manage. If we want the luxuries/extras such as new cars, eating out every week, designer clothes etc... OH will have to get a job too. I think it is all about compromise and as maggie said some are better at it than others and for some they want the best and if so then NZ may not be the place.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

on the job offer. Great news and good that there weren't any more dramas to get in your way.

I'd go along with everyone else who says that, if you cut your cloth accordingly, you should be able to manage on $61,000+. It's not a great salary, but there are those who are living on less . Don't know if I've missed this before, but would the NZ Navy be providing accommodation, as some do? That would be a big saving and get you off to a good start.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Don't know if I've missed this before, but would the NZ Navy be providing accommodation, as some do? That would be a big saving and get you off to a good start.

The Navy do provide some housing but they are changing this to an annual allowance I think which works out about $6,000 dollars a year. Not great but something.

Is there anywhere that I could try and work out the cost of living, rent, food day to day living on this website or anywhere else? Thanks
    Are we there yet!

Quote Originally Posted by AHoney View Post
    Is there anywhere that I could try and work out the cost of living, rent, food day to day living on this website or anywhere else? Thanks
    I just thought I would put a link in for this website, I have just been reading through and it seems very comprehensive.

New Zealand Now - Move
    Are we there yet!

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I have a thing for spreadsheets so using figures given in various threads on this and another forum combined with my own research I was able to compile a spreadsheet that gave me a rough guidline as to how much it would cost me a month and what my take home pay would be. It is very rough but gives a good indicator. PM me if you want me to send it to you.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch