Thread: hi there

noodle's mom is offline Junior Member

Default hi there

hi everyone,
    just joined this forum.....
    my partner, our kid & i are emigrating to nz asap from Cape Town, South Africa, he is in the process of applying for jobs, he is a nz registered plumber already, so we hoping the process will be quick and painless, - so any advice or help would be really appreciated - thanks
    Last edited by noodle's mom; 27-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Noodle's Mom and welcome to MTNZ.

As you probably know already, your husband's job skills are much in demand in NZ so, as you say, hopefully the immigration process will go smoothly for you. Is it that he has already applied for and got his NZ registration or has he previously trained in NZ? At least with having his registration now, it should help in his search for a job. Good luck to him .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default some advice, please

hi mother bear
    thanks for your encouraging words, yes it is great he is registered, in 2000 he went to NZ with a plan to work, got registered and then had to return to SA for a personal reason.

we are in bit of a quandary about how we should proceed, do you think it is best to carry on applying for a job from SA, securing one and then coming to NZ or would you recommend he comes there and job searches there ?

if he comes out before getting a job, do we still have to get the EOI ?

thanks for all the great tips and for making it possible to being able to "listen" to others in the same boat we are in !!

Caz
    Caz is offline Member

Hello and welcome,

I am sure you will get all the help and info you need. The people on here are super!

I am still learning all about the process myself, so cant really comment on whats best for you to do!

Enjoy the forum
    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

Thumbs up

hi caz
    thanks for that - the more i read, the more i realise that the best thing to do is for my OH to just get on a plane to NZ ASAP, get a job, somewhere for us to live and then myself & the noodle (our son) follow....

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi and Welcome.

Sometimes it is easier to get a job whilst in NZ as the employers know you are serious about the move. Some people end up never making it there which puts employers off employing people from abroad.

I'm sure whatever way you decide to do things will be right for you. There is plenty of support on here too.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

As his job skills are much in demand he may be able to get a job offer whilst still in SA but, as Beth says, it is a lot easier to find work when you're actually in NZ and potential employers can see you've already made a commitment by visiting the country.

If he has enough points i.e. 100+ to apply for the EOI he can do it without a job offer, but some people don't have enough points to apply and need that all-important job offer to give them a boost. If he gets a job offer after submitting the EOI, he can inform INZ of this and they will amend his file accordingly.

If he wants to go to NZ before his application for PR has been approved and/or before he's got a job offer, then he would probably have to go on a Visitor's Visa, look for work, then apply for a WP to allow him to work in NZ until his PR comes through. It's advisable not to alert Immigration that he's there to look for work. A VV is supposed to be used purely for visiting .

If he finds a job without having to go to NZ and before his PR comes through, he could apply for a Work Visa on the strength of the job offer and enter NZ on that. The WV will be converted to a WP on entering the country.

I would clarify that the latter 2 comments would also apply even if he didn't submit an EOI.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.