Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hello from me......

  1. #1
    Caz's Avatar
    Caz
    Caz is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    72

    Cool Hello from me......

    Hi everyone,

    Just want to say a wee hello. I am loving this site, the info is great

    We have finally made our decision to move

    My plan...and life

    I have been trying to find out as much info as possible, which at times is hard, i kinda go round in circles alot!!

    We currently live in Scotland, UK. I have 2 girls who are very excited at the prospect of us moving. Really i want to move to have a better environment for my kids. I am a sporty person and love horse riding, sky diving and climbing, although hardly get to do them here due to the weather.

    My hubby works in IT, and i am a fitness instructor. (although i currently work in clinical research)

    I am trying to find out as much info as i can as to where to live, jobs etc... all the usual stuff.

    Am planning to get myself sorted with money etc before i apply. We are looking at going to the NZ jobs fair in london in october.. has anyone ever been to one? and are they any good??

    I saw a lovely house to rent in Papamoa Beach, Tauranga. BUT i have been reading on here and other places that IT jobs are hard to come by there... which would be a problem for us as my hubby really is our main source of income. So it looks like i will have to be looking elsewhere, Auckland seems to be the next best choice. Any info would be helpful?

    Oh sry i do go on a bit,...

    Well hopefully the NZ jobs fair will help us in October.

    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

  2. #2
    Taffy's Avatar
    Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, NZ
    Posts
    3,408
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Hi Caz,

    Welcome to the forum

    You're right, IT jobs can be very hard to find in Tauranga, and the ones that are available come with terrible pay. The best job I got offered in Tauranga (i'm in IT too) was for $20k per year, so we moved to Hamilton instead!

    Auckland is OK if you dont mind big city living, but Wellington is a good choice for IT, then Hamilton on the North Island. Christchurch is also a major IT centre if you fancy the South Island.

    Haven't been to a jobs fair so can't help you on that one sorry

    Good luck with your plans anyway, and hopefully we'll see you around on the forum
    Taffy

    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

  3. #3
    sparrows is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paraparaumu, Kapiti
    Posts
    32

    Default Jobs Fairs

    Hi Caz
    We have moved to NZ with my OH being in IT. The IT jobs are mainly located around Wellington area. We was happy to move to Wellington due to sister working and living in Palmesrton North
    The job came from CV passed on to agency after we attended Expo at Manchester 2007.
    My own personal view is they are worth attending as there are many stands including emigration, banking, real estates, moving companies and many more with some very useful information. You will leave with your heads buzzing and bags of brochures
    We have chosen to live on Kapiti coast(Paraparaumu) for the location and the childrenís ages, and so far happy after touring round Wellington surroundings this weekend. I think most people will agree that you choose the area most suitable to your family needs. For instance if my children were young and not at the age of self care, I may have chosen nearer to Wellington less on the commuting time to be there for younger children.
    One last note is that any questions you have there will always be someone to help on the forum, so you have made the right first move

    Good Luck
    D
    Visit Sparrows blog
    www.lancsnest.co.uk

  4. #4
    Caz's Avatar
    Caz
    Caz is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparrows View Post
    Hi Caz
    We have moved to NZ with my OH being in IT. The IT jobs are mainly located around Wellington area. We was happy to move to Wellington due to sister working and living in Palmesrton North
    The job came from CV passed on to agency after we attended Expo at Manchester 2007.
    My own personal view is they are worth attending as there are many stands including emigration, banking, real estates, moving companies and many more with some very useful information. You will leave with your heads buzzing and bags of brochures
    We have chosen to live on Kapiti coast(Paraparaumu) for the location and the childrenís ages, and so far happy after touring round Wellington surroundings this weekend. I think most people will agree that you choose the area most suitable to your family needs. For instance if my children were young and not at the age of self care, I may have chosen nearer to Wellington less on the commuting time to be there for younger children.
    One last note is that any questions you have there will always be someone to help on the forum, so you have made the right first move

    Good Luck
    D
    Thanks Sparrows.

    We had a look at wellington and the surrounding areas. I saw a number of houses in and around the Paraparaumu area, however thought there would be a fair travel to work in wellington.

    We really want to live close to a city but somewhere quiet enough, so we can enjoy being close to a beach and so that the kids have alot of space to run around and play. Our kids are 7 and 9 years old. But we are still not sure where is the best place!

    How long does it take you to travel from Paraparaumu to wellington?
    Also are there schools in that area?

    Your help is much appreciated.

    Thanks, Caz xx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

  5. #5
    Maggiemoo's Avatar
    Maggiemoo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Salisbury UK (was Tauranga NZ from 06/06 to 05/07)
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    I saw a lovely house to rent in Papamoa Beach, Tauranga. BUT i have been reading on here and other places that IT jobs are hard to come by there... which would be a problem for us as my hubby really is our main source of income. So it looks like i will have to be looking elsewhere, Auckland seems to be the next best choice. Any info would be helpful?
    Hi Caz

    We moved to Tauranga in June 06, after a quick scoot round the North Island to decide on a location to base ourselves in. My hubster is also in IT (he specialised in network support) - we did initially think that we would need to settle in Wellington or Auckland for jobs, but neither place really appealed to us. We loved Tauranga on a fleeting visit to it on the scoot round, so decided to make that our home - there aren't lots of IT jobs available, but hubster found one within 4 weeks of being there, and he was on a bit more than the $20k Taffy got offered!! - he was on almost $70k, which is a very good wage for Tauranga. (sorry Taffy!!) He was working for IT side of Telecom. After 5 months he got offered a programming and development role with a small consultancy company in Papamoa, also for around $70k, which he took as he wanted to expand his experience. So there are decent IT jobs out there in Tauranga, but they probably are harder to find, and its often a case of being in the right place at the right time.

    We loved Tauranga because it's not a really big city, you are close to the beach, mountains, etc. It's got easy access to places like Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, and to the rest of the North Island. We have 3 children (two of whom were with us in NZ - they were only 21 months and 5 months when we moved over there - the other one was born in UK a couple of months after we returned) Tauranga is a very child friendly place, and if you are into outdoor sports and actvities, you will have lots of opportunities right on your doorstep.

    Obviously we are now back in the UK, as we felt that NZ wasn't right for us long term. I miss Tauranga, I miss my lovely spacious house with the gorgeous views (S'alright Taffy, I won't do any more shameless plugs for it - except to say its STILL for sale!! ) and I miss all my wonderful friends.

    If you want any more info on Tauranga or the IT situation there, please feel free to PM me - good luck with your planning and preparation for NZ

    Maggie xx

  6. #6
    sparrows is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paraparaumu, Kapiti
    Posts
    32

    Default Travel and Schools

    Hi Caz
    We had a look at wellington and the surrounding areas. I saw a number of houses in and around the Paraparaumu area, however thought there would be a fair travel to work in wellington. Agree but currently OH who commutes each day on the train to Wellington, this is about 40 minute journey. He his enjoying the train travel each day and met many friends as many people commute to Wellington

    We really want to live close to a city but somewhere quiet enough, so we can enjoy being close to a beach and so that the kids have alot of space to run around and play. Our kids are 7 and 9 years old. But we are still not sure where is the best place! This is what I was meaning, ours are 15 and 11 and not as reliable on us parents. Believe me though children are much safer in New Zealand, and we was told by a young lady at tourist information when enquiring about school buses, that she traveled on the bus to school on her own at 5 years old (little young for our liking)
    When we was choosing areas near Wellington we looked at three areas, Tawa, Johnsonville and Newlands critical factor at the time was the schools selection.
    Space is not a question here and schools highly encourage outdoors activities in school hours. You are never far from a beach in New Zealand

    How long does it take you to travel from Paraparaumu to wellington? Currently I donít travel at the moment, but I will be looking at jobs which may be in Wellington (accounts and project administration background) and do not feel it would be problem commuting on the train. Time to read, relax or admire the scenery
    Also are there schools in that area? Yes Paraparaumu has few junior schools but I believe it depends on the zone you are in to which you attend. We were happy with Paraparaumu beach and did not look at the other schools. Our eldest attends Paraparaumu College.

    Your help is much appreciated. Not a problem, have nosey at our blogg
    Northwest Sparrow's Web site Debs

    See also ebianca threads as I think they may have just moved to area near Wellington

    Thanks, Caz xx
    Visit Sparrows blog
    www.lancsnest.co.uk

  7. #7
    essexgirl's Avatar
    essexgirl is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Hi Caz

    your right this forum is great, ive ony been on here since last wednesday and had so much help already.

    in terms of the job fairs, i found it ok we went in april to the london one. I would leave the kids at home beacuse they get bored really quickly. Although they had maori dancers which my niece loves. Try to really get to kewi's there, the best information we got was from an estate agent he told us the good, bad and ugly so from that side it was hugly beneficial.

    hope to see you around the forum

    lara
    Lara

  8. #8
    Caz's Avatar
    Caz
    Caz is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sparrows View Post
    Agree but currently OH who commutes each day on the train to Wellington, this is about 40 minute journey. He his enjoying the train travel each day and met many friends as many people commute to Wellington

    This is what I was meaning, ours are 15 and 11 and not as reliable on us parents. Believe me though children are much safer in New Zealand, and we was told by a young lady at tourist information when enquiring about school buses, that she traveled on the bus to school on her own at 5 years old (little young for our liking)
    When we was choosing areas near Wellington we looked at three areas, Tawa, Johnsonville and Newlands critical factor at the time was the schools selection.
    Space is not a question here and schools highly encourage outdoors activities in school hours. You are never far from a beach in New Zealand

    Currently I donít travel at the moment, but I will be looking at jobs which may be in Wellington (accounts and project administration background) and do not feel it would be problem commuting on the train. Time to read, relax or admire the scenery


    Not a problem, have nosey at our blogg
    Northwest Sparrow's Web site Debs

    See also ebianca threads as I think they may have just moved to area near Wellington
    Hi Sparrows, Thanks for that.

    I had a wee look at your blog. Some really good interesting points there. I didnt realise the cars were mainly automatic!!! I am used to a manual car and so is my OH. The last time i drove an automatic was on holiday in south africa, and i almost put us through the windscreen by stamping on the brake like it was the clutch! Oops i said... forgot about that haha

    So i guess i will have to hire an auto here and get used to it for a few weekends.

    Hmmm now i am kinda wondering.. if it takes 40 minues in the train.. how long in the car??? About an hour maybe. I really fancy being out of the city a little even if traveling is over 30 minutes, so i might have a look into that.

    Sorry for all the questions, but when u arrived did you stay in hotels til you found a house to rent, or did u have a holiday type home?

    Thanks again.
    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

  9. #9
    Caz's Avatar
    Caz
    Caz is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by essexgirl View Post
    Hi Caz

    your right this forum is great, ive ony been on here since last wednesday and had so much help already.

    in terms of the job fairs, i found it ok we went in april to the london one. I would leave the kids at home beacuse they get bored really quickly. Although they had maori dancers which my niece loves. Try to really get to kewi's there, the best information we got was from an estate agent he told us the good, bad and ugly so from that side it was hugly beneficial.

    hope to see you around the forum

    lara
    Hi Lara,

    Thanks for the info. I would not take the kids anyway, they would just drive me insane haha, so i will leave them with my mum. I am going to try to get as much info as i can when i am there, and also hopefully my OH will be able to hand his CV out and see if anyone is interested.

    Thanks,

    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

  10. #10
    Caz's Avatar
    Caz
    Caz is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemoo View Post
    Hi Caz

    We moved to Tauranga in June 06, after a quick scoot round the North Island to decide on a location to base ourselves in. My hubster is also in IT (he specialised in network support) - we did initially think that we would need to settle in Wellington or Auckland for jobs, but neither place really appealed to us. We loved Tauranga on a fleeting visit to it on the scoot round, so decided to make that our home - there aren't lots of IT jobs available, but hubster found one within 4 weeks of being there, and he was on a bit more than the $20k Taffy got offered!! - he was on almost $70k, which is a very good wage for Tauranga. (sorry Taffy!!) He was working for IT side of Telecom. After 5 months he got offered a programming and development role with a small consultancy company in Papamoa, also for around $70k, which he took as he wanted to expand his experience. So there are decent IT jobs out there in Tauranga, but they probably are harder to find, and its often a case of being in the right place at the right time.

    We loved Tauranga because it's not a really big city, you are close to the beach, mountains, etc. It's got easy access to places like Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, and to the rest of the North Island. We have 3 children (two of whom were with us in NZ - they were only 21 months and 5 months when we moved over there - the other one was born in UK a couple of months after we returned) Tauranga is a very child friendly place, and if you are into outdoor sports and actvities, you will have lots of opportunities right on your doorstep.

    Obviously we are now back in the UK, as we felt that NZ wasn't right for us long term. I miss Tauranga, I miss my lovely spacious house with the gorgeous views (S'alright Taffy, I won't do any more shameless plugs for it - except to say its STILL for sale!! ) and I miss all my wonderful friends.

    If you want any more info on Tauranga or the IT situation there, please feel free to PM me - good luck with your planning and preparation for NZ

    Maggie xx
    Hi Maggie

    Thanks for that. My Hubby is a Network Administrator, however he also does web building and admin. He is doing a course for CISCO, i think its the CCNA one.

    We have had a look on the net for IT jobs in Tauranga, but there were no results I really liked the look of Tauranga and obviously the 90 mile beach haha

    It also appealed to me and my hubby as there are lots of opportunities for Mountain Biking, Skydiving and Jetskiing. But i guess where we end up will depend on where he gets a job.

    As the salary is concerned, he needs to earn at least $50000 for us to get by.

    Also was there any one main reason NZ wasn't for you?? Hope u dont mind me asking.

    I know it will be alot different to the UK, but if i go i want to make sure that i can do everything i can to make it enjoyable for my family.

    Thanks again,

    Caz xxx
    Life is a Game - Great when you're winning - Crap when you're losing!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46