Thread: Been here 1 years

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Default Been here 1 years

I moved to NZ back in 1997. That is a typo on the heading of years as it should have said 11 years. The only issue is I should have done it years before. I am a Kiwi citizen since the year 2000.

It a nutshell: "You won't get rich in New Zealand but you will lead a rich life".

Things which are expensive or unobtainable in other countries are free. Can you put a price on being safe or your children being safe. I am originally from the USA so seeing young children walking on the street is a pleasure for me. A simple thing but says a lot. Clean air. I often go for a walk on the beach and I am the only one there.

I know a lot of people who don't lock their doors to this day. I was gone once for two days and accidentally left my front door wide open. Everything was fine on my return.

I moved here for the people. It is changing but there are still a lot of great people around. The kindness and good will of people still blows me away sometimes.

Regards

Cliff
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-05-2008 at 02:42 PM.

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Great to get feedback - thank u!
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

kiwisue is offline Member

Great feedback Cliff...Thanks.
    ~Suzanne~

This Kiwi is home at last.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

So true Cliff, sometimes when things arent going so well, an encounter with a friendly person helps you realise things arent so bad after all! Not to mention you can get away from city life at any time within a few minutes drive, have beaches and parks to yourself and all in great surroundings.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Cindy is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you for sharing.

WOW 11 years. I had to share this post with my OH as we are from the States also. We were feeling a little down about all the daunting task of selling everything and leaving the people we care so much. Reading your post really gave us a boost.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    WOW 11 years. I had to share this post with my OH as we are from the States also. We were feeling a little down about all the daunting task of selling everything and leaving the people we care so much. Reading your post really gave us a boost.
    It is long way to NZ from the USA. NZ has it's problems but has less than many places. The biggest thing is when there is a problem they address it and not have a 7 year study to look into the issue. You are also not a number. I have been on the same plane as a PM (former Prime Minister Jenny Shipley) and seen many important government people in the airport and even shopping in the store. They are not hidden behind closed doors and unapproachable. You are not a forgotten voice here.

Moving here is a hard thing for some people because of family. Many people come here and then move back because of this. Then they go back and remember why they left to begin with and return to NZ again. It does happen.

With phone and VOIP (Voice over ip) so much cheaper now. When I came it was a dollar a minute. Now I have an inbound USA number so my mum can easily call me from her home phone without a computer virtually free and I can call the usa for about 1.8 cents a minute. The phone can be my vice. You may find you get closer even though you are farther away.

If you want to stay in touch you might consider the same. You get a local number for them (mine is for a very small place in Mississippi) for them to call for less than $10 a month USD, These calls are forwarded to your internet address here in nz or where ever you are in the world. there are things like skype and even yahoo im has a talk option on it.

I have to admit I am more kiwi than yank now. I didn't think like a typical American (if there is such a thing) before I left. I lived in ozzie for a while back in 1991. I have been around the world 18 times on 18 tickets and seen many places in the world. For me NZ fits. It is not everybody's cup of tea. But for me it works.

I consider myself lucky to be here.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Duke is offline Senior Member

Great post... Thanks for the insight