Thread: US to NZ

sjayne is offline Junior Member

Default US to NZ

It's been (nearly) a lifelong dream of mine to move to New Zealand. I'm 44 years old now, and a journalist/writer with about 20 years of experience in that field.

I haven't started doing a lot of research yet, but what's the best way for me to start the process? And based on my age and profession, does anyone have any advice for any particular ways to go about looking into this?

Thanks!

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Welcome to our forum sjayne

Your best starting point would be to visit the NZ immigration website - Immigration New Zealand It's not the easiest site to navigate sometimes, but you can have a look around and possibly fill in the points indictator to see where you stand - Points Indicator - New Zealand Immigration Service

Fire away with any questions that may pop up and we look forward to seeing you around - feel free to join in the Coffee House fun, but beware, we are a crazy bunch

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Default Hello!

I'm being sponsored by my partner, but have filled out all the paperwork and it is in the hands of the Department of Immigration. I don't know if I can be of any help as to where to start, but I might be able to offer the benefit of my experience as you go through the process.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Cindy is offline Junior Member

We'll be leaving for Auckland in end of May. We haven't found a job yet and have submitted an EOI (too early to be selected). We're going to just take the plunge by selling up and leaving. We can't overstay in NZ so we'll probably hop about in Fiji and OZ 'til we land a job. We'll probably apply for work visa just in case. Rather than hoping that we get through via selection process, after reading other forums, depending upon how soon we land a job, we'll apply for work visa as well.

Good luck to you!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome on board.

WG has given you a good starting point there so i'll just stick with the welcome for now. Hope to see you around.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!

sjayne is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my question. I appreciate the help. I'll be glad to do the research; it's just nice to have people help point me in the right direction!

kiwisue is offline Member

Hello and welcome sjayne.
    I would also recommend you have a good look around the New Zealand Immigration website. There is a load of good information on there.
    I am sponsoring my husband through the Family/Partnership category, but feel free to ask questions and I am sure there are plenty of people here who can help you.

Cheers,

Suzanne.
    ~Suzanne~

This Kiwi is home at last.