Thread: Kia ora tatou

slider is offline Junior Member

Post Kia ora tatou

Kia ora tatou

I thought it was about time I introduced myself as I?ve been lurking for a while and have finally signed up to the forum.
    Many years ago I turned down an offer of sponsorship to go out to New Zealand but personal circumstances at the time ruled that I follow my head and not my heart. No I am looking to ?give it a go? as I don?t want to look back one day asking ?what if??
    I will probably going down the ?take a flight out and see what transpires? route and am considering heading for Wellington.
    Like so many prospective immigrants it seems, I am in the IT business and just hope the demand remains as high as it appears to be at the moment.
    I?m taking a long term approach to making the move as my mortgage will then be paid off in 2011 and that seems like the perfect time to head down under. This will give me options to sell (hopefully the market will have recovered by then) or possibly rent, so giving me an income and a route back if it all goes pear-shaped.
    Arriving in 2011 will mean I can take in the Rugby World Cup too.

Cheers
    Dave

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Dave and welcome to our merry little band.

You seem to be lining all your rubber duckies up nicely and it's good to see you have a plan forming. I think quite a number of people decide to give NZ a go because they are afraid of the "What if.." syndrome creeping up in later years if they don't go through with it.

Have you got thoughts on what visa type you will apply for when you get to NZ? You should be OK if you're in IT, especially in a city like Wellington. Hopefully they will bite your hand off to employ you.

Good luck, anyway, and keep us posted.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

slider is offline Junior Member

Hi MotherBear and thank you for the welcome.
    As I have lots of relevant work experience but don't have a degree I may well be struggling for sufficient points without a job offer so I'm planning to start with the holiday visa and then get stuck into some serious job hunting once I'm in country (unless I can secure a job offer before I go to NZ in which case I could then go straight away for PR)

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Hi Dave and

Good luck with your mission and don't forget to keep us posted!

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Hi Dave and welcome from me too.

My OH is in IT and like you has no degree so we have taken the plunge and sold up, headed to Wellington (been here almost 3 weeks) and look for work whilst we are here.

There are plenty of Recruitment agencies here in Welli that cover IT work, most advertise on Seek so you can take a look and get a good idea of what's available.

Anyway, good look and see you around.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!