Thread: Hi, all...

Deornorth is offline Junior Member

Smile Hi, all...

Thought I had better introduce myself rather than lurk!

I am looking to moving to NZ in approx 2 years. As a secondary science teacher so shouldn't have too much of a problem getting in (unless there is a major influx in the intervening period!).

I have always wanted to emigrate somewhere (my parents always wanted to go to OZ but stopped short of going) and when at Uni in the late 80's I decided I wanted to go there. I got married, lived in Scotland doing my PhD and then ended up teaching. Over the past few years my wife and I chatted about moving to NZ and put it off. Last year, however, a general feeling that something had 'gone wrong' in the UK precipitated us deciding that we would go ahead and start making preparations.

Now- we would never be in a position to move immediately. Due to a mixture of students loans, home improvement loans and a big mistake of a 'consolidation loan' we haven't any savings. So- last April we decided that we would sell our house - use the proceeds to repay all debts leaving us free to save for a few years.

We put the house on the market just before everything went pear shaped. We had 2 sales fall through and are now so close to finally selling (touch wood). Once we exchange we are going to rent and put money into savings. This sounds a little mad but- I have read that it is bad to leave it too late to sell and this way if we did want to go early we could. Plus- our mortgage is interest only and the way the market looks I think the money I could save is more than the equity would go up by anyhow- if it goes up at all!

Earlier in the week I went to a meet at NZ House in London (I couldn't believe how high that building is- there can't be as many that are as high or with such a good view) and clarified a few aspects. I am going to send my qualifications of soon for verification. As I intend on starting work in NZ at the beginning of the school year in 20011 there is no point yet in lodging an EOI...

Regarding where we will go- I don't yet know. We like the South Island best and I quite like Christchurch or Timaru. We hope to visit in (our) Summer on a fact finding mission (the only problem- our next baby arrives in 12 days- in the summer will be only a few months old- is that too young for such a long journey?).

Anyhow- I'm looking forward to visiting the forum and chatting to you all!

Cheers,

Deornorth

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Deornorth. to MoveToNZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Deornorth
    Thought I had better introduce myself rather than lurk!
    Brave man . We get a lot of lurkers, so it's good to see a few coming out into the light. You're just in time to enjoy our new-look forum. Taffy is spring-cleaning (well, autumn-cleaning, as it would be down in NZ) the site and moving things around so he can keep us on our toes.

It sounds like you are getting your house in order, so to speak, ready to plan your future move to NZ. At least you have plenty of time to learn all you can about the country and the immigration process.

Good luck to Mrs. Deornorth on the anticipated arrival of Baby Deornorth. Hope all goes well. You can read here about young babies and flying.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

H Deonorth, and welcome to the forum

Sounds like you've had a rocky road so far, so good on you for having the determinaton to keep going - although anyone who makes it through a PhD must be brimming with determination!

Good luck with your new impending arrival, and we hope to see you around!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

ebianca is offline Gingery, Peppery & Spicy
    Blog Entries

Welcome on board!!!!

Sounds like you have things planned out fairly well. Good luck with the house- 3rd time lucky as they say and good luck for the new arrival.

Hope to see you around.

Beth
    Flights booked for 24th March 2008!
    Landed in Wellington 26th March 2008!!

Job Offer Received 9th July 2008!

Temp Work Permit application submitted 11th July 2008!
    Temp Work Permit approved 4th August 2008!

EOI Submitted 11th July 2008!
    EOI Selected 16th July 2008!
    EOI 'Successful' 1st August 2008!
    ITA Received 8th August 2008!
    ITA Aplication accepted 26th September!

APROVED in Principle 10th June 2009!!!!
    Residency Visa issued 7th July 2009!!!!!