Thread: Moving to NZ from US

hibiscus is offline Junior Member

Arrow Moving to NZ from US

Kia Ora !

I am Hari, Indian origin in US. Last week the dream of moving to NZ just got closer with a job offer coming thru.

I am placed to work in Wellington and wanted to know a bit about the cost of living and the culture.

How difficult is it from a brown-skinned to integrate with mainstream New Zealanders? In US, at least the work place is heterogenous and have some good friends of all race.

My wife and I are open to exploring cultures and languages. We enjoy outdoor treks and beaches. We also like to explore theatre and passionate about world films.

As much as I am excited about coming to NZ, I felt a need for reassurance from folks out there.. who have been there and done it.

Thousands of questions. But will reserve them based on the response. Looking forward to hearing from you folks

Regards
    hAri

molly is offline Member

Hi Hari

As I wrote in another post, NZ is very multi-cultural and "migrant friendly". I would not expect any problems being "brown-skinned", as Maori and Pacific Islanders are brown-skinned as well. Also the Indian population here in NZ is quite considerable.

We live in the greater Wellington area and we absolutely love it here (although is IS windy). Culturally Wellington is quite active (for NZ standards) and nature/beaches are to be found in abundance everywhere in NZ.

NZ is not paradise and as a Swiss I don't like the political system here. I am concerned about the future of NZ - especially in relation to the free trade agreement with China and the wobbling NZ economy.

However, NZ is a good place to live and to work and it is a very beautiful country.

hibiscus is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your response Molly. I am sure I will make friends in NZ. My wife and I have been conscious not to be ghettoized within the Indian community - but transcend cultural boundaries to establish relationships.

I am very excited about coming to NZ and imbibe the scenery and culture. After being in US for close to 4 years - experiencing the monotony of giant malls and supermarkets, gas guzzling highway trips - I am looking for a more greener, less materialistic life style.

Could you please recommend where I can find safe/clean housing accomodation? I will most likely be arriving in the second week of June (two winters in one year, our winter just got over here !). My budget is 350 dollars a week and I need access to train/bus routes to Central Wellington.

Looking forward to visiting NZ and possibly making the country my home.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I get the impression that maybe some racism problems could arise out in the sticks where the locals aren't used to the diversity of races and cultures. In the cities, however, there is a great mix of people from all over the world and people are used to rubbing shoulders with them in their everyday lives, but in the country where folks are rather more sheltered and insular, it could be a different story.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.