Thread: Expo 08 New Zealand event This weekend

punkfish is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile Expo 08 New Zealand event This weekend

I just though I would post a link to this event this weekend at the Olympia exhibition hall in London.

Opportunities New Zealand - EXP08

This is some blurb form their homepage about the event..............

Change your life and move to New Zealand!
    Find your job at the Opportunities New Zealand Expo.

New Zealand is looking for skilled and experienced people. If that?s you, then you?re already a step closer to your new life in New Zealand.

The easiest route to New Zealand starts with a job offer. The Opportunities New Zealand Expo provides you with the very best possibility of finding that job - and you don?t have to travel half way round the world to get it!

We bring many of New Zealand?s top employers and recruitment consultants to you in the UK and South Africa. Hundreds of job offers will be made at the expo, and in the weeks afterwards, to people like you with the right skills.

The New Zealand Government fully supports the expo and their migration department, Immigration New Zealand, will be there to answer your visa queries.

The expo will provide you with the opportunity to meet estate agents, open a bank account, transfer your pounds to New Zealand dollars, find a reputable shipping company and much more!

So come to the expo where a new life for you and your family awaits!

I am going on Sunday, can't wait.

catt is offline Member

We already have our tickets and will be heading there on Saturday

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

We went to both last year - a good source of information and if you are job hunting I understand it is excellent for making contacts. We found a lot of useful info regarding banks, pensions, shipping and even had chance to talk to INZ in person - yes they really are 'real' people.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MarkWW is offline Junior Member

We've just come back from the London expo and I'm afraid this statement:

"We bring many of New Zealand’s top employers and recruitment consultants to you"

is simply not true. There were very few employers there and only two recruitment consultants. The employers there were mainly from the construction industry (3ish), plus one for teachers and one for some healthcare profession (sorry didn't take much notice!). I'm in IT and there was nobody there for me so printing all those CVs this morning as recommended on the expo website was a waste of trees.

The two recruitment agencies had big queues but seemed just to be getting people to register with them which presumably you could do online instead. They were nz.hudson.com and advanced personnel.

Having said all that we did get some useful info about shipping our stuff to NZ (there were three companies there) and learned a few extra things from the NZ Immigration seminar.

I have to say I felt a little cheated as the claims made on the expo site about picking up jobs there are obviously totally misleading - expecially as they specifically said there would be employers looking for IT people there (and many other professions who were not represented).

The expo is not free so please bear the above in mind if you're thinking of going to London tomorrow or Leeds next weekend.
    Last edited by MarkWW; 06-04-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: url came out strangely

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

I feel that the October one has more there. I did find the April one a little disappointing but at the time we didn't really know what we wanted,. By October we were well on our way and got more from it.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

catt is offline Member

I'm with you MarkWW but for different reasons.......i kinda expected to see a lot more exhitiors stands there and only about 20 if that (didnt spend time counting them but covered the area in less than 3 minutes).

The seminar about emigrating was really boring in that the guy who was talking did it in monotone and included lots of umms n errrs and left out quite a lot of basic important information. Thank god for people who asked questions at the end although there wasnt much time for that either. Stick with the forums on here to get the best info. He certainly had no charisma and didnt fill me with enthusiasm for emmigrating.

Not money well spent i dont think.

BabyPom is offline Junior Member

We went yesterday, like you, a wee bit disappointed by the lack of stands on recruitment (although we weren't seriously expecting one on Telecommunications to be there nor were we expecting a job offer but some variety would have been good).

The Immigration Stand personnel were most helpful and managed to answer our person specific queries. Although the seminar we attended (at 1330) didn't manage to run the dvd due to a technical hitch and we too felt the delivery was a little ummmm eerrrrr but did answer a number of queries we'd had.

I do however feel research is the key to getting it right and as such, this kind of event is useful.

Jane