Thread: starting the eoi process... help

punkfish is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Default starting the eoi process... help

Hi, Me and my partner are looking into submitting an eoi and find it quite confusing.

I know this may seem like a silly question but with regards to the points system. Does one of you complete an eoi and mention your partner in the application? Are the points based on both of you or do you pick the person with the most points? Also I noticed that if you have a job offer you gain a lot more points. Do you have to actually take the job once in new zealand or is it more to do with the fact that it shows your employability?

I would prefer not to start working straight away as would like to explore the country for a couple of months and buy a house first. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I am 28 and work as fundraiser in a University. I have an degree in Illustration ( does this mean I can't use my degree as a qualification as it is not relevant to my job?). My partner has worked in the print industry for the last 20+ years and is also a qualified engineer. Do you think this would come undr the skilled migrant section.

Sorry I kow this is long one but there are so many questions... finally my partner has taken voluntary redundancy and will be mortgage free. He would like to become a qualified electrician and/or plumber. Is it better to get the qualifications over here first or wait until in New Zealand as he is worried that the regulations being so vastly different and having to retrain once in New Zealand.

If you could answer some or all of these questions that would be great.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Punkfish and welcome on board.

Quote Originally Posted by punkfish View Post
    I know this may seem like a silly question but with regards to the points system. Does one of you complete an eoi and mention your partner in the application? Yes only one can complete the form and he/she is then known as the principal applicant.

Are the points based on both of you or do you pick the person with the most points? The principal applicant puts down their particular circumstances i.e. quals, work experience etc. but I think you can also factor in your partner's qualifications if they are considered important to NZ. I would suggest picking the person with the most attractive job skills, quals and points as the principal applicant because the application is likely to go through more easily and quickly.

Also I noticed that if you have a job offer you gain a lot more points. Do you have to actually take the job once in new zealand or is it more to do with the fact that it shows your employability? If you claim points for a job offer to help you gain PR, then you must work for at least 3 months in that job after arriving in NZ. After that I believe you can move on if you wish.

I would prefer not to start working straight away as would like to explore the country for a couple of months and buy a house first. Any advise would be much appreciated. I have an idea that you have to take up employment within a certain time of arriving in NZ if you are the principal applicant. I guess if INZ are handing out residencies to people because they want the benefit of their skills, they will be keen to see you in work. I'm not sure offhand about the timing - will have to research that again.

I am 28 and work as fundraiser in a University. I have an degree in Illustration ( does this mean I can't use my degree as a qualification as it is not relevant to my job?). My partner has worked in the print industry for the last 20+ years and is also a qualified engineer. Do you think this would come undr the skilled migrant section. Have you checked up on the Long Term Skill Shortage List to see if either of his job titles appears on there? If they do, then he could apply under the SMC. If you are using both skills and qualifications to claim points then the qualification must match the skills/job title.

Sorry I kow this is long one but there are so many questions... finally my partner has taken voluntary redundancy and will be mortgage free. He would like to become a qualified electrician and/or plumber. Is it better to get the qualifications over here first or wait until in New Zealand as he is worried that the regulations being so vastly different and having to retrain once in New Zealand. I would suggest he trains in NZ as it could be that their regulations are different there although tradesmen from other countries do immigrate to NZ and continue their trade there after undergoing certain tests and registration.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

punkfish is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile starting the eoi process

Thanks so much for your reply it has been very helpfull. I will have to investigate the work timeline more closely.

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by punkfish View Post
    I would prefer not to start working straight away as would like to explore the country for a couple of months and buy a house first. Any advise would be much appreciated.

You only need to work straight away if you are claiming points for a job offer. If you have enough points without the job then you don't need to work.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch