Thread: Hubby in NZ

rasin is offline Member

Default Hubby in NZ

Hi folks,
    Found this forum yesterday and am pretty excited about it :)

I just came back from Wellington after visiting my hubby and here's some self-introduction....
    My hubby just started working in Wellington surburb a couple of weeks and still settling down (moving house, chking out cars etc.). I've followed him to Wellington to check out things there and now back in Singapore. Will skip the autumn and winter probably going there again in Spring and this time with my 2 little ones (+ other relatives if any going).. Will consider to move there if i could eventually manage the 2 little ones by myself :P
    However read on the immigrant site that max visitor stay is 12mth and need to stay away 12mth before revisiting again! Hence I'm not sure how we (2 kids and me) are able to join my hubby if on visitor permit (he's on Work permit and not PR). Any advise would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks in advance :)

Cheers..
    rasin

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasin View Post
    However read on the immigrant site that max visitor stay is 12mth and need to stay away 12mth before revisiting again!
    I'm not sure what the agreement is with Singapore regarding length of stay in NZ on a Visitor's Visa but people from the UK get 6 months visa free then can apply for 3 more months and if there is a good reason for needing/wanting to say a bit longer INZ can grant another 3 months. I think Singapore is 3 months visa free but it doesn't say what can happen after that if you want to stay longer. As your English is so good I can't tell if you are a Singapore national or British/American so I'm at a disadvantage there .

If your husband is on a WP he should be able to bring you and the children into NZ under his permit i.e. you should be able to get in because he has a WP and would get a WP too for the same length as your husband's although it isn't necessary that you work. Usually the wife's application for a visa is done at the same time as the husband applies as the family wants to travel together, so it could be different in your case. I'm not sure whether you need to make your own application or whether he can include you in his permit but that's the way in for you. Perhaps someone can fill us in on the details as I can't dig them up at the moment.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rasin is offline Member

Default Thanks MotherBear...

Hello MotherBear,
    Nice meeting you :)
    I'm a Chinese Singaporean and so is my hubby... Seems like most of the forumers here are from UK?
    My hubby is in the mist of shifting to a rented place and getting his internet. We hope to join him in abt 6mths time (no good to be seperated for too long... ) Hence was thinking of giving ourselves 3 mths to find out the application details and another 3mth for the actual application... Hope that we're not too optimistic here on the application timeline hehe..
    I read that I could apply for my own WP with hubby sponsoring... just that my kids (1yr & 3yr) can't as they're too young for that

Cheers...
    rasin

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I found this on the INZ Operations Manual.

E4.5 Spouses or de facto partners and dependent children of student or work visa or permit holders

Spouses or de facto partners of student or work visa or permit holders may be issued with temporary visas or granted temporary permits of a type appropriate to their needs for the currency of the spouse or partner's visa or permit.
    To be eligible for a temporary visa or permit, spouses or de facto partners must be in a genuine and stable relationship*. For de facto partners the couple must also have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship* for at least 2 years immediately before the application is assessed.
    Dependent children* of student or work visa or permit holders may be issued with temporary visas or granted temporary permits of a type appropriate to their needs for the duration of the parent's visa or permit.
    Spouses of full fee scholarship students, who receive a 'dependant's allowance' from MFAT, require MFAT's approval to be granted a work permit.

It confirms that you can get a WP of your own. Your children can be included in the application and I know that older children are granted Student Visas. I'm not sure what happens with very young children but I'm sure that has to be a way of including them because it says....

Dependent children* of student or work visa or permit holders may be issued with temporary visas or granted temporary permits of a type appropriate to their needs for the duration of the parent's visa or permit.

From here .

I'm sure it will be OK for all of you to get in.

And yes there are a lot of British people on this forum but also many other nationalities. Some of them don't hang around very long and just ask their questions and disappear until the next questions arises so you aren't always aware that they are part of the forum.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

rasin is offline Member

Default Thanks MotherBear

Hi MotherBear,

I've forwarded the info to my hubby and we're both happy to know situation is quite positive

Thanks and cheers...
    rasin