Thread: Hi from a Semi-Kiwi

dianabutnotaprincess is offline Junior Member

Default Hi from a Semi-Kiwi

Hi everyone, I've been looking at the site for a while and thought I'd finally join in - it seems like such a nice place! Good to know that the kinds of people who want to move to NZ are supportive and polite on the internet - it bodes well I think.

I was born & brought up in the UK, but all my family are from NZ and most of them now live there (since my dad retired back there). I am planning to come over for a year next Jan/Feb and it will be easy for me as I have dual nationality (I know - I'm really lucky ), but I want to bring my partner as well and it would be better if he could work. Anyway I'll ask some specific questions about that later, but this was just to say hi and thanks for a really useful site!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi DBNAP (or can I call you Diana for short? ). Welcome to MTNZ . Glad to have you along with us at last and what a nice first post.

If you have dual citizenship you would probably be able to sponsor your partner if you've been living together for 12+ months and can prove this. Alternatively if he has skills NZ wants he could apply for his own PR. A third option is that he can get a Work Permit via his connection with you.

He's a lucky guy to have at least a few options to play around with.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

dianabutnotaprincess is offline Junior Member

Talking thanks!

Aha, I didn't know he could look at getting a work permit through his connection to me - I'll have to look at that. I was thinking of sponsoring him as they're probably not looking for Jazz musicians or door staff I'm a bit worried though because he got into a bit of trouble before I met him - has a conviction for shop-lifting that is almost spent. He was fined, so I'm hoping this isn't an absolute no-no. He's a very upstanding member of the community now (in fact he had to prove it to get his door staff licence).

Please do call me Diana