Thread: Planning the move...

PonyWoo is offline Junior Member

Default Planning the move...

Hi,

I'm from the UK currently studying a degree in construction management, finish next year. I'm looking to move to NZ with my girlfriend when I have completed my degree.

I'm so excited I cant wait to get my degree finished!

Any advice would be greatfully recieved, especially on how easy/hard it will be to secure a job before making the move, as this would really help my visa as I wish to move under the skilled immigrant category.

Thanks,

Emma

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Emma and .

Acquiring a job offer can be done from outside NZ in some cases, but many people find that it's easier looking for work when you're already in the country because employers can never be quite sure whether job applicants will actually end up in NZ. You tend to be taken more seriously if you present yourself in person, as it shows a certain level of commitment because you've invested both time and money to get there.

There's a list of job agents on our NZ website list under Employment. I wouldn't like to say if any of them are construction-based but SEEK is one worth trying.

Good luck with your search and also your plans for getting to NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

PonyWoo is offline Junior Member

Hi MotherBear,

Thanks for the reply, yeah I did fear that and it's totally understandable. I guess I will just have to try and get lucky or failing that, try and line up some interviews for when I get out there!

Thank you for the link, I'm still trying to gather as much information as possible